Who is the Rooster here?

Ldeal

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Fallon, NV
My Coop
My Coop
Ok so I have 2 chicks around 5 months old. One is an EE and the other a silver laced wyandotte. they were both suppose to be hens but these last 2 days some one has started to try to crow. The problem is i dont know who?

5mayr.jpg

that is Hollie my Easter Egger. Yes her/his beak is very messed up but we are eating great with mushy food and a very happy girl or boy. yes also very messy

2rorwxt.jpg

And this is my pretty little Chichi my silver laced wyandotte.

im not sure if there is anything physically on one them that would tell me who is a boy or who is a girl. Hollie is a very docile and loving chicken which goes with the breed. She does have very dark blueish green skin by her ears. and Chichi has almost reddish pink scales on her legs. I know its kinda hard to tell but if any of you can give me some insight on how i could tell that would be awesome. Who ever is trying to crow is very shy because they do it once and then that is it. I have yet to be able to catch who is doing it.

Neither of them look like roos..
hmm.png

ETA: If I was forced to guess, I would say the EE because the SLW looks like my hen. I'm also pretty sure the roos have different looking feathers. *Googles*

YEP
images

Rooster

images

Cockerel

Last edited:
Quote:
That is true-- I actually had a hen (that had laid and hatched several clutches of eggs) that started crowing. She was a black australorp that got lonely all by herself....so she started crowing. I doubt that is what is happening here though.....but you never know!

I can see the slw as the roo more because she does perch herself up higher on like the logs or stuff and looks like she is looking out for stuff. She is definatly a lot more vocal then my ee and i dont know if she is just more dominate or what but she does try to pluck the feathers on the back of my ee back.

If your SLW is 5months, you've got a pullet, no way it's a roo at that age. If your hearing a crow it must be from your EE.

Edited to add a pic of my SLW for comparison @ 19 weeks
58941_19_week_flossie.jpg

Last edited:
yea im just really stuck. they are both 5 months old so i guess i will just have to wait and see and catch who ever is doing it. Its gotta be one of these 2. I do have a year old EE hen and a game hen mix of an unknown age. She does lay or well use to she did for about 8 months and then molted 2 months ago and has yet to lay again. I found her on the side of the road in a huge storm and no one claimed her so no clue on how old she is all i know is she is for sure a she. thank you everyone for the input and i would still love more.

I'm kind of leaning toward a crowing alpha hen. At 5 months, the EE would have definite saddle feathers and a bit of a larger comb. Plus, the coloring is wrong for a male. Hopefully you've got all girls!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom