Who Keeps Bees and Poultry?

:eek:40 Hives @GotCoop ! @KsKingBee has 200 according to his signature. So you 2 would be considered professionals right. Is it your primary job? Just wondering from a hobbyist like me. What kinds of bees do you have?
I think with only 40 I'm technically a "side liner"...and yes I have a day job. I have to lock up the turkeys when I work the hives because they insist on "helping" by sticking their heads in the hives

We have 2 top bar hives in our chicken yard. Started 2 1/2 years ago with local swarms, hoping to get some honey this spring.
CBACC4C1-8BF8-4CB2-BB39-A9E65BA862DD.jpeg

Top Bar Hives are interesting to me, it's harder and harder for me and my husband to lift the supers. Alas we've spent so much money on our equipment we're suffering through for now. ;)

I have. They're supposed to be good in the cold and have decent honey production. They were cost prohibitive last I checked.
They were very expensive. I can get Italian and Carni for about 100-120. I paid $150 for the shaz but I ordered early - they were asking 225 for new packages by the time my early orders arrived. But if they are more cold hardy, they may save me from buying new packages.. We'll see. I'm impressed so far.

They were very expensive. I can get Italian and Carni for about 100-120. I paid $150 for the shaz but I ordered early - they were asking 225 for new packages by the time my early orders arrived. But if they are more cold hardy, they may save me from buying new packages.. We'll see. I'm impressed so far.
I looked them up, they seem pretty amazing. Do you know of anyone who sells queens? I like to put in new Queens in my nucs, if I split a hive.

I looked them up, they seem pretty amazing. Do you know of anyone who sells queens? I like to put in new Queens in my nucs, if I split a hive.
I order from a beekeeping supplier in Vermont that's about a 2.5 hr drive. They only do pick up. They are selling Shaz packages for 185 for spring pickup. But no Queens advertised.

Back
Top Bottom