Who Keeps Bees and Poultry?

Pics

BirdsBeesTrees

Integrity.
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 10, 2019
Iowa
I've had my own honey bees for 8 years, my dad kept bees, and my great grandma kept bees. šŸ˜Š I have 4 hives which is more than enough for me. I started with Carnelians but now I have the mite resistant Italians. My husband, my 3 boys, and I run a Family Dairy Farm and have no employees. We milk around 70 cows, but have close to 100 cows and calves in all. Our cows are not in confinements. We have chickens, turkeys, peafowl, call ducks, ducks, Buff Geese, and right now I'm starting a quail adventure. ;) I homeschool my boys who are in 5th, 9th and 11th grades. My oldest son who is 6'5" is basically afraid of the birds, but my 2 other boys take care of all of our birds with me. I would absolutely love to hear from some other Beeks and what birds they have!
beehive.jpg

I have been wanting to get into beekeeping for a good while. My wife and I will be attending a local Introduction to Beekeeping class next month and may finally take the plunge. Hopefully, I have my Great Grandmother Norris' aptitude as she was supposedly a devoted practitioner. Our family history describes her as someone who never got stung a single time while wearing no added protection besides her clothes. And of course, I will always have chickens as long as I am able to take care of them. Why stop after 50+ years?
The thing I had to adjust to with keeping bees is they aren't livestock...and the less I try and help the better. Daily care, interaction and assessment of livestock is normal. Initially I found myself staring at the bee boxes and wondering what's going on in there...is there something I need to do...how can I help? I found that it's best to "let the bees..."

I've kept honeybees for 5 years. April will be 1 year with chickens. I have 1 Italian hive, 1 carniolin and trying 2 saskatraz hives stated last spring to replace 2 carniolins that didn't survive the winter. So far, all of my hives are in good shape. We had a 50 degree day last week and every hive was buzzing. We've just gone through 5 days sub zero and wind child's at night at 40 below - so we'll see. I left a lot of honey in the hives this year.

I keep my chicken in the same electric fenced pasture. Amazing to me as that they don't bother each other, but the chickens will clean up any dead bees they find.

Thatā€™s amazing. How do you keep bees? Iā€™d be interested in doing that one day when my kids are much older. I only keep chickens, guineas and cows. I tried pigs as pets but sad story made short, my Hammy didnā€™t make it. Other than that, no other pets unless you count my dog.
The best way to get into beekeeping is to look for local clubs and see if they have some basic classes to take. My dad didn't feel confident enough to mentor me since he wasn't that successful and gave it up, so I took a class that met once a week for 6 weeks.

:eek:40 Hives @GotCoop ! @KsKingBee has 200 according to his signature. So you 2 would be considered professionals right. Is it your primary job? Just wondering from a hobbyist like me. What kinds of bees do you have?
I think with only 40 I'm technically a "side liner"...and yes I have a day job. I have to lock up the turkeys when I work the hives because they insist on "helping" by sticking their heads in the hives

I have been wanting to get into beekeeping for a good while. My wife and I will be attending a local Introduction to Beekeeping class next month and may finally take the plunge. Hopefully, I have my Great Grandmother Norris' aptitude as she was supposedly a devoted practitioner. Our family history describes her as someone who never got stung a single time while wearing no added protection besides her clothes. And of course, I will always have chickens as long as I am able to take care of them. Why stop after 50+ years?

I've kept honeybees for 5 years. April will be 1 year with chickens. I have 1 Italian hive, 1 carniolin and trying 2 saskatraz hives stated last spring to replace 2 carniolins that didn't survive the winter. So far, all of my hives are in good shape. We had a 50 degree day last week and every hive was buzzing. We've just gone through 5 days sub zero and wind child's at night at 40 below - so we'll see. I left a lot of honey in the hives this year.

I keep my chicken in the same electric fenced pasture. Amazing to me as that they don't bother each other, but the chickens will clean up any dead bees they find.
Do you cover your hives? we put calf igloos on, or wrap. I'm the beekeeper and my husband is the helper. He's learned a lot and overcame his fear of bees. We have been leaving extra honey on every year too, better safe than sorry. I got into beekeeping myself because I planted an orchard in 2012 and wanted the pollination. Fresh honey is pretty awesome though.

Has anyone entertained the idea of becoming a Master Beekeeper? College classes and a piece of paper make you one apparently. ;)
I keep horses, chickens, turkeys and bees here in FL panhandle. U of Florida has a large Apiary Science program that offers different levels of certification online (new). I keep intending to enroll but the horses, chickens, turkeys and almost 40 hives keep me occupied!

Back
Top Bottom