Who laid these???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Wolf Queen, Dec 12, 2009.

1. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    So my scovies are in with all of my hens old enough to be laying and the girls just recently started to lay again yesterday and there have been these large whitish eggs in the nest boxes that I dont think any of my hens can account for. The question is could these possibly be from my Scovie girls? Some one said they looked 12 weeks old when I got them and they dont lay till 48. They barely even have red around their eyes yet. The question is who could lay these eggs? Also there is a creamish egg that is unknown as well, I will take a pic after I post this. But for now the breeds I have are:

Standards: RIR or Speckled Sussex crosses (hatchery mess up), Ees, Cochin, Polishes, Leghorn, Australorpes, Brahma
    Bantam: D Uccles, Cochin, Brahma, OEGB, Salmon Faverolles

ETA: Heres the pic, the three are the left are the eggs in question.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't know a thing about ducks or their eggs, but I have read that their shells are more "rubbery" than chicken eggs.

Could the white eggs be from you leghorns? And my brahma lays an egg like the one 3rd from the left.

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Polish also lay white eggs don't they? Still waiting for my Polish to lay [​IMG] and my RIR's do lay a beautiful creamy brown egg. Good luck!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, Polish also lay white eggs.

5. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I only have a single leghorn and I dont think shez big enough for those 2 eggs. My main problem is that I have mostly brown layers. Thats why im thinking maybe my ducks are the culprits. Oh and I know its not my standard brahma because her eggs are bigger. BTW im not sure if I have RIR or Sussexes or a cross because I got three that were supposed to be RIR from cackle but they are too slender and 2 of them have those spots. The weird thing is that my friend got three from the same order and hers are actual reds [​IMG]. I despise Cackle. I never get the right order with them [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

If you get a chicken egg wet (swipe with your finger), it will be a darker shade... if you swipe a duck egg, NO difference.. the water will bead up because it will have a waxy surface. you can scrape a bit off with your nail.

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    chickensducks&agoose :

If you get a chicken egg wet (swipe with your finger), it will be a darker shade... if you swipe a duck egg, NO difference.. the water will bead up because it will have a waxy surface. you can scrape a bit off with your nail.

What she (he? LOL! sorry!) said, plus, duck egg SHELLS are NOT rubbery! Someone might have been meaning the texture of the cooked eggs when they said that, although that isn't really accurate either if they are cooked correctly and not overdone! They do cook up a little firmer than most chicken eggs, but it's hardly noticeable, and I've never noticed a taste difference, although that has a lot to do with what they are eating.

Kathleen​

8. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ok thanks guys. Will the eggs still do that if theyve been in the fridge? Or do I need to use fresh eggs?

9. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    You don't need to use fresh ones, they'll still do that if they're in the fridge. Actually, if you leave them out for about 10 min. to let the condensation build up, then swipe-you'll see a difference on the chicken eggs. Duck eggs, no idea. Good luck!

10. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I am about 98% sure that the 2 eggs on the left are Muscovy eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by