Who laid this egg?

HSmamma

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
My BO has been laying brown eggs for over a week. Just got another one from her. One of the other chickens laid a white (creamy colored) egg and pushed the brown one out of the nest box. I have two EE's and 2 SLW's. I thought EE's laid green eggs and SLW's laid brown eggs? So who laid me this egg?
hmm.png

-hsmamma

Because EE's are mixed breed and have no breed standard they can lay any colored egg including cream or brown.

My SLW tend to lay very light brown eggs, but the only way to know for sure who is laying what is to catch them in the act.
wink.png
Egg color can vary widely from one individual to the next even within the same breed.

yes, kind of pink.
bummer. I really wanted green or blue eggs.
-hsmamma

Don't count your egg colors before they're laid! You still have a chance of getting colored eggs from your other EE.
big_smile.png
And there's always the chance that the SLW was the one who laid the cream egg.

I have a BO that normally lays brown eggs but one day I got one that was so light it almost looked white. I think it was from something she ate.

Tis a mystery. The EE's have been in and out of the nest boxes. The SLW's are not investigating yet but have bright red combs. Don't know who is laying but the BO has given me an egg every day since she started laying and whoever is laying the pinky/cream eggs has also laid every day for the past 3 days. I'm not complaining...I just want to praise the appropriate chicken!

Maybe it's the 16 inches of snow we've had here in RI!

-hsmamma

Back
Top Bottom