Who laid this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HSmamma, Dec 18, 2008.

1. HSmamma

HSmamma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    My BO has been laying brown eggs for over a week. Just got another one from her. One of the other chickens laid a white (creamy colored) egg and pushed the brown one out of the nest box. I have two EE's and 2 SLW's. I thought EE's laid green eggs and SLW's laid brown eggs? So who laid me this egg?[​IMG]

-hsmamma

2. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the egg a pinkish color? Because EE's can lay pink eggs also.

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Because EE's are mixed breed and have no breed standard they can lay any colored egg including cream or brown.

My SLW tend to lay very light brown eggs, but the only way to know for sure who is laying what is to catch them in the act. [​IMG] Egg color can vary widely from one individual to the next even within the same breed.

4. HSmamma

Aug 29, 2008
    yes, kind of pink.
    bummer. I really wanted green or blue eggs.
    -hsmamma

5. TanksHill

TanksHill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Vista, Ca.
    I have 12 EE's that just started laying. I usually get green, blue, and tan. It's always a great surprise.

6. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    based on information on Hendersons Chart Wyandottes can lay creamish eggs too.

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't count your egg colors before they're laid! You still have a chance of getting colored eggs from your other EE. [​IMG] And there's always the chance that the SLW was the one who laid the cream egg.

8. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    I have a BO that normally lays brown eggs but one day I got one that was so light it almost looked white. I think it was from something she ate.

9. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    The Wyandottes I had all laid a real light cream egg and usually they were more round in shape than oval.

10. HSmamma

Aug 29, 2008
    Tis a mystery. The EE's have been in and out of the nest boxes. The SLW's are not investigating yet but have bright red combs. Don't know who is laying but the BO has given me an egg every day since she started laying and whoever is laying the pinky/cream eggs has also laid every day for the past 3 days. I'm not complaining...I just want to praise the appropriate chicken!

Maybe it's the 16 inches of snow we've had here in RI!

-hsmamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by