who leaves their chickens in the coop when it rains?

I let mine choose. I open the pop door in the morning regardless of the weather. They have a covered run, but of course the rain still gets in on the sides unless I've put the rain shields on (the ground still gets wet sometimes anyway). I let them free range when I'm home and sometimes they come out in the rain, sometimes they stay in the run and sometimes they stay in the roost box. Guess it depends on thier mood.
tongue.png

Once it gets colder, I will probably leave them in. If they don't get used to the rain though, I guess they can't live in the Pac NW
lol.png

They do hang out more inside when it's raining, though I like to give them the option.

I usually keep my juvies in and sometimes my bantams, if its pouring. I hate seeing my Silkies soaked. And they seem too dumb to stay in the coop. My big egg layers usually get their choice though. Today it is raining and their runs are a huge sloppy mess (so disgusted with this weather!), so I waited til 9am to let them out. Unless the weather is horrid, I will let the adults out to do as they please.

Mine are let out every day, rain or shine.
If it starts raining too hard they find places to get out of it; usually under our carport.

I open the pop door daily unless the daytime high is lower than 0. My chickens are princesses, though, and choose to stay inside when the weather is yucky. I say, hey, whatever works for you is what works best for your chickens!

big_smile.png

I open the doors but keep windows closed so that rain does not blow inside. They decide on their own if it's too wet outside or they might enjoy a shower.
smile.png

I put some extra shavings at the doorway and in front of the nest boxes to help clean their muddy feet and keep the eggs a bit nicer.

edited: it's "their ", not "ther" LOL

Last edited:
My door is always open too .. rain or shine, I think the girls i have are pretty clever ..i dont see them out when its realy raining ..
To be honest i didnt think they like getting wet .. when i fill water up they leg it ..

Back
Top Bottom