Who likes caruncles?

Caruncles?

• I love them!

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Ew, gross . . .

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
I have never understood why judges want Muscovy to have so many caruncles on their faces you can't even see their eyes now to me that is disgusting. Plus poor things can't even see.
The standard actually says caruncling shouldn’t restrict eyes or vision. Judges don’t ever choose the over caruncled ducks that can’t see or breathe but exhibitors do bring them
This is what a proper show muscovy ought to look like. He did very well.
7907A28A-7B90-4B7F-82B2-EC56064EE2E6.jpeg
6FE640AF-1FD3-4888-86A1-00E479312DA2.jpeg

I’m pretty neutral to caruncling on ducks as long as it is nice and even. Can’t say I love it but I don’t hate it.
I voted that I love it though because of turkeys. Turkeys caruncles change colors. The coolness factor far outweighs the “ugliness.”

Once @Kessel23 and I came up with an abomination: a Muscovy built like a Runner with a racing stripe of a caruncle down either side. (Inspired by the fact that I have seen Muscovies with random caruncle on their bodies)
I of course had to draw it. It was my lock screen pic for years.View attachment 3693578
I wish that it would be possible to breed into calls. Runners would be adorable too

Once @Kessel23 and I came up with an abomination: a Muscovy built like a Runner with a racing stripe of a caruncle down either side. (Inspired by the fact that I have seen Muscovies with random caruncle on their bodies)
I of course had to draw it. It was my lock screen pic for years.View attachment 3693578
Off topic but do you hear from Kessel anymore? I haven't heard from him in ages. Hope he's OK.

The standard actually says caruncling shouldn’t restrict eyes or vision. Judges don’t ever choose the over caruncled ducks that can’t see or breathe but exhibitors do bring them
This is what a proper show muscovy ought to look like. He did very well.View attachment 3693569View attachment 3693570
I’m pretty neutral to caruncling on ducks as long as it is nice and even. Can’t say I love it but I don’t hate it.
I voted that I love it though because of turkeys. Turkeys caruncles change colors. The coolness factor far outweighs the “ugliness.”

He's handsome!

I didn't know they change color on turkeys. That's interesting.

@Miss Lydia : That's Daffy by the way. He was ill or off color from May to October but is back to his old self and in fine fetal now!!! I have no idea what was his respiratory illness back in May [it didn't respond to antibiotics] but even when he was over that, he was being bullied by the other muscovy. Then the bullying got much worse when he started a molt in August and so I brought him back to Florida with PingyWingy. He got very grumpy after PingyWingy died -- eating drinking and bathing nnormally but refusing to have anything to do with me. He would not let me pet him. But after the two bully boys came back to Florida, Daffy flourished again. He is boss duck in the coop, gets the first dibs on the food [so he gets the lion share of the mealworms!] and he is back to following me around and biting my ankles demanding attention.

This is what a proper show muscovy ought to look like. He did very well.View attachment 3693569View attachment 3693570
Now they are gorgeous but like you said they bring the ones overdone with them and they are so pitiful looking.

@Miss Lydia : That's Daffy by the way. He was ill or off color from May to October but is back to his old self and in fine fetal now!!! I have no idea what was his respiratory illness back in May [it didn't respond to antibiotics] but even when he was over that, he was being bullied by the other muscovy. Then the bullying got much worse when he started a molt in August and so I brought him back to Florida with PingyWingy. He got very grumpy after PingyWingy died -- eating drinking and bathing nnormally but refusing to have anything to do with me. He would not let me pet him. But after the two bully boys came back to Florida, Daffy flourished again. He is boss duck in the coop, gets the first dibs on the food [so he gets the lion share of the mealworms!] and he is back to following me around and biting my ankles demanding attention.
Maybe grief since him and Pingy Wingy were so close. Now he has worked through it and back to his old self. ♥️

Off topic but do you hear from Kessel anymore? I haven't heard from him in ages. Hope he's OK.
Yeah, I have him on Facebook. He’s just not on BYC much anymore.
Now they are gorgeous but like you said they bring the ones overdone with them and they are so pitiful looking.
Yeah. You are right that I think they are supposed to have more than the one pictured since it says “sides of head and face covered uniformly with caruncles which may extend to the neck, excessive caruncling which obstructs the breathing or vision to be considered a serious fault.”
As to the pictures, I think one of the poultry artists captured it perfectly (although she apparently doesn’t realize chocolate is brown, not orange) but the other went a little overboard.
This is why I never trust the pictures
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom