Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
I was just thinking about muscovy caruncles and wondering how many other people like them? My family thinks they're hideous, but ever since I was a little girl I've been enamored with the ducks with the "Zorro mask."

20231127_110746.jpg
20231127_110637.jpg

20231127_110307.jpg

20231127_110606.jpg

Last edited:
Hello.

Well... when I was a kid, I really did not like caruncles : I found them ugly and seriously disgusting. Especially because of the red colour...! (Blue caruncles, for my child's mind, would not have been so shocking!)
I think that is the case for a lot of children...?

I'm an adult now, and I don't really care anymore.
I think all birds are charming and beautiful because how they look... even with their "ugliest" parts...!

But I think my mom doesn't like caruncles, because she doesn't want me to adopt Muscovy ducks : she tells me she doesn't like them.

...I never thought caruncles to be looking like "Zorro mask" until I read your thread?!
Now, they look a bit cooler to me!! Ah, ah!

But I think my mom doesn't like caruncles, because she doesn't want me to adopt Muscovy ducks : she tells me she doesn't like them.

My husband was the same way, but he lets me have my way in pretty much all things poultry related. Recently we were watching our ducks together and he said, "You know, muscovies are really pretty ducks."
They're such charming, sweet ducks that I think eventually he just quit noticing the caruncles.

I was afraid of Muscovies as a little kid. They have a bad reputation, and the caruncles being that screaming shade of red made them look kind of evil to me. But now I consider the color striking in contrast to the feathers of the duck, especially white ones. I still don't like when the caruncles are developed to an extreme level because it then looks like a nasty rash, but it moderation I don't mind it at all.

Back
Top Bottom