Who shows dogs?

I show Jack Russell's with the J.R.T.C.A. (The Jack Russell Terrier Club of America) It's the largest Jack Russell Registry in the world.

I love going to these shows because it's not all conformation, they have racing, earth dog, agility, lure coursing, obedience, trailing and locating, and even youth programs. So even if your dog isn't the best conformationally you get a ribbon. I also like how the dogs have to be 1yr of age to be registered, you have to submit photo's when you register the dog because it has to fit the criteria for the breed standard. And you need a vet exam. So if your dog has a bad overbite, it won't be allowed to be registered until it is spayed or neutered. And the JRTCA does not allow inbreeding.

At the last trial I went to my boy Rippling Run Samson won
RESERVE CHAMPION in Performance
BEST OF Junior Terrier
CHAMPION Terrier (equivalent to Best in Show)

I'm so proud of my boy!
3.jpg

We breed, hunt and show redbone coonhounds. Here's two of our dogs with a couple new trophies. I wish they would five you the option of something smaller. My back closet is full of trophies and we don't have anywhere to display them.
sad.png
If we ever build a den, LOL.

80743_100_1062.jpg

they're beautiful! I've always been partial to the look of redbones, esp since "Where the Red Fern Grows" as a kid.

Not the dog for me, but love to hear the sound of a good coon dog on a trail!

Quote:
Don't you HATE it that the AKC won't allow deaf dogs to compete. I can understand that they shouldn't be bred, I'm all for that. But to prevent them from competing in other events and recommending that they be destroyed? I have a real problem with that.

k121010.jpg

How could anyone look at that face and say she doesn't have the right to live???

Service Dog in training!!

Check out what Deaf dogs CAN do! http://www.deafdogsneedavoice.com/index.html

Last edited:
But to prevent them from competing in other events and recommending that they be destroyed?

I'm sorry, but I can't find the part of your statement in bold above in the AKC's rules and regulations. Would you be so kind as to cite your statement above, from http://www.akc.org ?

Deafness in dogs can tend to produce a canine that might bite if startled. Therefore, I fully understand and agree with AKC's policy that deaf dogs not compete in companion events. Conformation events exist to assist breeders in choosing breeding stock that most closely represents individual standards in not only physical structure but also in temperament. Therefore, blind, lame or deaf animals do not compete.​

I will agree that many breeders opt to humanely euthanize deaf puppies. I used to know a dalmatian breeder who had a deaf pup she put to sleep at 6 weeks. I promise you she wept for days over that puppy, but frankly, there was a very slim chance of finding the type of committed home it takes to raise such a handicapped dog in her rural area.

In addition, a lot of breeders do not want to risk the liability that they sell a deaf pup to someone who doesn't raise it properly, it bites someone and they get sued.

I commend folks who care for deaf or otherwise handicapped dogs. My 16 year old dog is deaf as a post, although she had normal hearing in her younger years.

Oh my Lord. That female in the photo I posted ...we are not sure but we think a dog bred her through her kennel fence. We were saving her for a special breeding and people not containing their dogs probably just screwed us up.
he.gif
somad.gif
:duc Y'all pray her nipples are just swollen from hormones or whatever.
sad.png
hit.gif
This has happened before with our best dog.
rant.gif

It kills me--you take special precautions when they are in heat like not hunting them and not showing them--and then they get bred through the fence.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom