who thinks there no better sight then a mother hen with chicks?!!?!?!?

I just love the sight of a fluffed up broody hen taking her chicks out for the first time. I'm thrilled to hear the clucking and trilling as she instructs her tiny wards on what is edible. If you look real close-you'll see her offer edibles to her young. She breaks up the larger seeds to a more suitable size for those tiny beaks. Watch her pupils change size as she watches the chicks around her. See how her tongue darts out to preen those fluffy heads with precision so precise a skilled machinist would envy. One sharp cluck will send her brood under her spread wings if she detects danger. Feathers fluffed, she will dare any predator to come close with a steely glare. She will fling herself in the mouth of danger if needed to protect her brood. Ahhh... Mother Nature and her mothers. We humans can learn a few things from our hens. Just gotta watch and learn.

I have a momma hen right now with four chicks, hatched a week ago this past Monday. She started bringing them out day before yesterday. OH so cute! Doing exactly what theoldchick described!

I did snap some shots but have to download them from the camera tonight (maybe I'll get some more before then, as soon as I get home from work).

There's a certain street in town where I take my lunch breaks pretty regularly, because there are a whole slew of free range chickens that wander around on it. They do not belong to anyone that claims them, although they have a "home base" yard. Anyway, one hen has 7 chicks she's herding around, through different front yards and across the street now and then.

Most of these chickens appear to be smaller, laying breeds, like leghorn mixes. It's interesting to watch them, as my flock are all larger, dual-purpose breeds.

In the Spring, one of those "nobody's chickens" had a clutch of THIRTEEN chicks she was raising. I was almost late back to work from my hour long lunch hour, because I was watching them and enjoying the activity. Just fills my heart with joy!

love.gif
love momma and babies pics
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom