Who to contact to report improper shipping of hatchery chicks

chickensheila

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 26, 2011
I have ordered chicks from large hatcherys for 12 years. I found a hatchery that offered the two breeds that I wanted this fall. I picked up my chicks today at 5am. I go to my main postoffice to get the immediately instead of having them shipped to my local postoffice.I am completely outraged that this populary hatchery in Iowa is allowed to ship baby chicks in a open box that does not have individual cardboard compartments. Of course my polish chicks are dead and/ or crippled from being trampled on by the hardy ameraucana chicks. I am so angry and want to make sure this hatchery never, ever ships another chick in these conditions. I am in CT. and need to know who you think I should contact. Thank you.

Contact this hatchery immediately and tell them what happened. They should at the very least refund your money.

Yes contact the hatchery, and there should be initials on your shipping inmoice so you can tell them who packed the box. It sounds like they forgot to finishe putting the box together.'

I'm sorry, dead chicks are no fun.
hugs.gif

That's no fun, very sorry to hear you had a poor experience. Is it a well known hatchery and have you gotten chicks from them before?
It could be a simple mistake where, as mentioned above, the box wasn't put together properly or someone accidentally skipped over it. Usually hatcheries are very careful about separating breeds or small chicks for that reason.
I agree that you should contact the hatchery asap and let them know what happened. If they are professional about it, they should refund you as it sounds like it was a hatchery mistake, not a postal mistake. I know that won't stop them from shipping more chicks that way but maybe they simply have a new employee who wasn't trained properly, or something along those line and they simply need to be notified?

Back
Top Bottom