Who wants to judge cattle quality?

Is it typical for them to look so thin? I know dairy calves normally look thin, but I thought non-dairy calves were fatter.
They are on the thin side, but that comes from being weaned in winter and having to eat hay. The OP doesn't have their location posted, but considering I was mowing six acres of grass over the weekend, some of which was taller than me, I'd say they are up north where the grass hasn't begun to really grow yet, judging by those photos. So born in the fall, nursed on a cow that was probably eating mostly hay, which is lower, nutritionally, than pasture, coupled with being weaned onto hay is a recipe for thin babies. One of the reasons in the South we breed for calves to drop in the early spring so they are weaned and can eat good pasture before being taken to sale in the early fall.

The Jersey heifer will probably be fairly thin, but the Jersey bull should get pretty thick.
1653326511449.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_cattle

1653326580134.png
1653326611927.png

As far as the Texas Longhorn crosses, they are a fairly thin and rangy breed. They will put some weight on, but they seem to do that in their second year.

Thank you all!
Good pasture may be a big part of the problem, we're in Texas where there's a drought and currently everything is either dried up or on fire.

They should look better after they drop their winter coats. Just make sure you get a dewormer that works, like Ivermectin for example. Protein tubs are great for when you can't get the best quality pasture or hay.

You've got a good plan and a group of cows with potential! Add a couple of California bands to it for the boys, if they're not already done, and I can't add anything else to your plan that you haven't mentioned. Happy farming!

There are both horned Herefords and polled Herefords. As for the cattle in the pictures, I would first treat them for parasites. They look wormy and they appear to have lice also. They also need groceries. Pasture or hay and some grain. Start slowly on the grain. Be sure to offer a salt block.

The guy ended up having to put the bull down the morning they were supposed to be delivered to me, he said it looked like he was probably grazing under the fence and got struck by lightning, but he couldn't be sure and I decided not go go thru with the sale to be safe.
Thank you all for your advice!

The guy ended up having to put the bull down the morning they were supposed to be delivered to me, he said it looked like he was probably grazing under the fence and got struck by lightning, but he couldn't be sure and I decided not go go thru with the sale to be safe.
Thank you all for your advice!
I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom