Who waves to other drivers?

Chirpy

Balderdash
15 Years
May 24, 2007
Colorado
I live in a rural area, I used to live in a large town near Denver which is, obviously, a huge city.

Out here, on the county roads, the majority of people wave to each other when passing on the roads. However, once people leave the little two lane county roads and hit the major two lane highway (it's actually just a glorified county road but it's the only artery between here and the big city
lol.png
) most people don't wave anymore.

I've been watching to see if there's any rhyme or reason to who seems to wave and who doesn't. Almost every pick up truck that goes by will give a wave. Older car drivers (the car being older - not necessarily the driver) are good wavers, SUV car drivers wave a lot. Sporty cars, really expensive cars and the neighbors with the Hummer almost never wave. The age of the driver seldom seems to play any role in whether they wave although teenagers can't seem to get their hands up there all that often.

The waves themselves are fun. You get the older cowboys who touch their hat brim as you drive by or just nod their heads toward you. You get a lot of 'one finger lifted off the steering wheel' wavers. And, some that actually lift their whole hand into the air and wave like the Queen going by in a parade.

I love living in the country!
big_smile.png

How about you guys? Do live where people wave to each other?

We sure do
frow.gif
! I lived in a big city in Florida & when we first moved to NC & everyone waved I thought it was so strange. I'd look at that person like "Who the heck are you & why are you waving at me, I don't know you!" Nowadays, I
frow.gif
at everyone.

Last edited:
We have mainly one finger wavers. Which is fine with me since it means they are still controlling the vehicle with the hand! Probably 80% of the drivers you run into out here in the country wave but in town no one waves. And yes, I wave! In town I will wave at people just to see the odd look they get on their face. Its fun!

Its probably where you live. It sure seems country folks are much nicer than the city folks are. Large cities and such, the people have attitude. Thats great, enjoy it, I love friendly people, and it makes for such a nice day all around, don't you think?
smile.png

I have pretty much the same experience as you. I am probably waving to some of the same people that you are.
wink.png
, maybe we have waved at each other and just don't know it yet.
lol.png
After I get waved at or wave at someone, it makes me smile and thankful that I live "in the country".

Most everyone here waves.

Except you always have those old timers whose grampa bought a cow who diddnt give milk or something from your grampa, and they will always remember it. They dont wave, they look out the other window and pretend they diddnt see you....
lol.png

Yes, I love living in the country, I hate even going to a town with more then 20,000 people in it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom