Whoaa… what am I?! A Sebright??

Tamara119

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2012
Bariloche, Patagonia
So, my entire flock may have been put at risk today. While I was in the shower, a friend of my husband's came over with a chicken he found around his place. My husband promptly accepted it and put it in with my 4 months old chicks. ARGGH! Sigh, what's done is done. At any rate, she's teeny tiny and very cool! My 4 month old BCM has fallen in love with her and is protecting her and wooing her. I did catch her and spray her legs with frontline, at the very least to protect her since my flock has scaly leg and she appears not to.
So, is this a Sebright? I live in Argentina, in a pretty remote area of Patagonia (so hopefully she's not carrying any bad diseases!). AFAIK there aren't very many people here interested in uniques breeds, but there's obviously someone who had her! The crazy head feathers are fabulous, but atypical for a Sebright, I think. There are a couple of photos with the BCM cockerel who is only 4 months old just to compare size. Anyone know about Sebrights and/or whatever else she might be?
Comments please!

Last edited:
Nope, she isn't a Sebright. Looks like a mixed breed to me, unless she is some sort of Argentinian breed that I am not aware of. Very cute!

No unusual Argentinian breeds around, just mixed breeds! If she's a mixed breed, would she still have Sebright or Campine in her or are there other bantams that are this tiny? (I have zero experience with bantams of any kind.)

There's no Sebright in her, their build is way different from hers. She could have some silkie way back there, enough to give her the build and crest, but far back enough she lost the dark skin and feathered legs. She also looks like she could have some game hen blood. Do ya'all have feral chickens there?

Interesting. There are chickens running around in some places, but mostly standards. I've never even seen bantams around here. There might be game hens and other breeds around Buenos Aires, but that's 1600 km from here! I know there are silkies and sebrights for sale on our local version of ebay, but I haven't seen other bantam races for sale. Oh, a quick check shows a few "pygmy chickens" for sale, but they are a bit larger, with bigger crests, and without the 'hair-do'. (And they are all for sale in Buenos Aires)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom