Whole Corn Vs Cracked Corn, What do you use?

"Rolled" corn or "rolled" oats has been ran thru a "roller mill" which is basically two round tubes that can be adjusted for closeness, Wider opening will smash or flatten the seed,much closer will crack the seed into smaller pieces. There is roller mills, grist mills, and hammer mills, each designed to break up seed

I've been researching today into buying a wood pelletizer,,also very suitable for making feed pellets,,and thus eliminating peas being pickers and choosers on what they eat,and what they leave in the food bowl.

Pellets depends on how large the holes are in the die,most are either 3/16th or 1/4" in size. If the moisture is right around 12-15% you won't need anything to make the pellets stick together,just the pressure from squeezing them thru the die will work. Steam or heating the corn makes it easier to crack or completely remove the outer seed coat altogether. Oats are especially tough because the coating is long and slim and is "wrapped" around the endosperm,and oats are smaller in size than a corn kernal,,so it's easier to steam them,to get the coating off without destroying the seed itself.

Last edited:
All my birds eat both whole and cracked. I do not give corn during breeding season, just layer pellets. Minx that my be way your birds left it behind. Mine will not eat the corn during warm weather and they will leave it there.

I leave feeder pellets 24/7 for my caged chickens and bring some whole corn to toss around when I visit every day. They act like I'm Santa tossing candy to children. Which is fun.
big_smile.png
But I hate to think I'm just throwing money away if it's not that good for them.

I leave feeder pellets 24/7 for my caged chickens and bring some whole corn to toss around when I visit every day. They act like I'm Santa tossing candy to children. Which is fun.
big_smile.png
But I hate to think I'm just throwing money away if it's not that good for them.
If you are not aware, I would just like to let you know this is regarding peafowl, and the nutritional value of corn. Corn is not bad, just trying to see which better to feed.

Back
Top Bottom