Whole Corn Vs Cracked Corn, What do you use?

My gals are the exception to the rule as they don't like any dried corn, whole or cracked, and will leave it sitting. Now, they LOVE canned corn or corn on the cob.

So, for the most part, I don't give them corn. Treats are crimped oats, BOSS, or leftover from the night before. If I don't have any of those things, I'll pop them a can of corn. I only have 8 girls so one can makes a decent treat.

They eat fermented feed - made from layer pellets, crimped oats and BOSS - in the morning and get treats later in the day.

Neither. I feed a Game Rooster grain mix that contains whole kernel corn as well as popcorn and 9 other grains (considered an 11 grain scratch feed) as a throw out in the morning treat only, or to shake in a can to call them home from free ranging. I never mix corn or scratch grains with their layer feed or they'll just dig it out and eat that. It's a great feed, 12% protein, whereas plain corn is only about 8% and not a complete feed. It's called Knockout. I would use it if I had a rooster eating separately from the hens and I have, as in the case of my late crippled rooster, Zane, who many of you are familiar with.

Here is a picture of it. Knockout by Faithway Feeds. Sometimes, the portions vary, but aren't usually much different. Once I did get a bag that was full of white millet of all the weird things, but that was probably a quality control oversight. It's great feed, but not an exclusive feed for laying hens, certainly.

Last edited:
My bantams and guineas get layer crumbles as their staple morning and evening and I toss cracked corn in the pen each morning as a treat. I don't supplement with any grit because they are out all day pecking away at the ground. I also give them fresh veges of all sorts thru out the week since we make a lot of salads for dinner. They adore tomatoes and lettuce! Is their diet OK? Should I be doing anything different? They seem to be doing OK.

Game feed is higher protein, I believe. I can't recall the exact percentage, I think 20%, would have to look it up, but I used to feed Game Bird Layena to my guineas. Technically, it's called Game Bird Breeder, not layer. Guinea keets should start out on game bird starter which is a good bit higher protein than chick starter, for optimal growth, but they can do okay on chick starter, I suppose. It's too high protein for chicken chicks at 28-30%.

Okay, here is the link for you.

http://wildlife.purinamills.com/products/ECMD2-0017384.aspx

Last edited:
Yellow dent is a type of field (hard-kernel) corn, yellow for the color and dent for the way the kernels dent in at the outside edge when they dry out. Most feed corn is yellow dent.

Imperial-4.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom