Whole Corn Vs Cracked Corn, What do you use?

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
I have always used Cracked Corn as a treat, I picked up a Bag of Whole Corn and the birds seem to love it, I feed it as a treat adn I also have mixed it with there Pellets.

I have Chickens, Gunieas,Peafowl,Pheasants and Pigeons, any issues with any of these birds eatting Whole corn?

How do you guys feed your corn as a treat?
Mixed with there Pellets?
Is corn all you feed?

Thanks

I use whole corn. I did use cracked for a while. I know that as soon as you crack grain the nutrients begin to degrade, Whole grains last much longer before they have degraded. Plus there is the loss of the fine pieces into the ground if you are using it for a scratch. I know that full size chickens have no problem with the whole kernel. I did think a bantam could have a problem, but I got a bantam by mistake this summer and she races around after the whole corn like everyone else and doesn't have a problem downing it. As far as digesting whole or cracked I have never seen a whole or partial kernel in their poop unlike some larger animals seem to leave. If they have grit there isn't much of anything that can not be processed by their gizzards.

:love
A perfect picture of what love and proper care/feed can do for our pets.

.... What is Dent feed?
Dent corn, aka yellow dent corn, alias field corn is the every day corn that is grown from New York to California and is used for animal feed, ethanol feed stock, HFCS, Kentucky Bourbon, and thousands of other uses. It is called dent corn because when dry each kernel has a dimple in its top surface and also to differentiate it from sweet corn, white corn, popcorn, flint corn, Indian corn etc.

Also if you are like me and use your chickens for therapy, you can sit down while you flick and toss individual grains hither and yon while watching the antics of your chickens as they compete for them.

:rolleyes:

Outstanding use of objective references for those many wild accusations.

All corn grown in the United States is genetically modified. The majority of corn seed is sold as " Round Up" ready... It contains pesticides and something called glyphosate.
The more they study this the more they know how bad it is for us and it is in everything!
It has been linked to cancer, Alzheimer's disease, ADHD and the huge increase in autism, just for starters. People and their chickens should seriously consider eating only organic corn.
Getting off my soapbox now! :lol:

All corn grown in the United States is genetically modified. The majority of corn seed is sold as " Round Up" ready... It contains pesticides and something called glyphosate.
The more they study this the more they know how bad it is for us and it is in everything!
It has been linked to cancer, Alzheimer's disease, ADHD and the huge increase in autism, just for starters. People and their chickens should seriously consider eating only organic corn.
Getting off my soapbox now!
lol.png
Overstatements never assist matters of truth. Not all corn grown in the U.S. is GMO since many organic sources of corn are from the U.S. as well. I grow my own organic corn almost every year. I'm opposed to GMO in my food or my animals. I buy certified organic products. I've read of trials performed linking Round-Up-Ready products to sterile swine and cancer, not the others. With the amount of nations refusing Monsanto-GMO product from the U.S., it is no surprise. The same outfit who told soldiers in Vietnam that Agent Orange was safe shouldn't be trusted with food supply in my opinion. Others will do what they want. Not my problem.

In regard to whole corn or cracked corn for chickens, ease of digestibility matters. Cracked corn in 3 way scratch is a tradition for chicken feeds for a very long time. Here's some interesting information about poultry nutrition where corn is mentioned: http://www.apppa.org/dynamic_content/uploadfiles/1297/NutritionalConceptsofPasturedPoultry.pdf

Last edited:
IMO, it's Glyphosphates that are doing the damage. Many GMO crops are specifically bred to be Round Up ready, so the fields can be doused with Round Up. Did you know that farmers are now spraying their wheat crops with Round Up just before harvest so the plants die down and ripen all of the crop at the same time for a bigger harvest? IMO, that's where the real danger lies: the damage that these chemicals are doing to the soil, as well as the residue left in the food we eat.

Game feed is higher protein, I believe. I can't recall the exact percentage, I think 20%, would have to look it up, but I used to feed Game Bird Layena to my guineas. Technically, it's called Game Bird Breeder, not layer. Guinea keets should start out on game bird starter which is a good bit higher protein than chick starter, for optimal growth, but they can do okay on chick starter, I suppose. It's too high protein for chicken chicks at 28-30%.

Okay, here is the link for you.

http://wildlife.purinamills.com/products/ECMD2-0017384.aspx
I am feeding my hens and ducks All flock feed. it is 20% protein. Is that to high for laying hens?

No, that's good. My feed is 22% protein, called Super Layer. Most heritage breeds, who tend to be larger bodied, need more protein. I think that's as high as 99.9% of all birds need as adults, though.
Thank you. This is my first time with chickens and I am loving it. I am very worried about winter coming. I just want to get everybody through alive! I have been adding oats and sunflower seeds along with garlic powder and D.E. to their feed too but had to stop because they are picking out the goodies and leaving the feed. Brats! Its like having 2 year old children all over again.lol

Back
Top Bottom