Whole corn vs Cracked corn

Pigeon28

Songster
Mar 14, 2020
Vermont
Who feeds cracked corn in their feed mix? Anyone have any issues with the birds getting sour crop or any other issues? Iv always used whole corn because I was told/read cracked corn gave them sour crop but just curious as to how true this was.

Who feeds cracked corn in their feed mix? Anyone have any issues with the birds getting sour crop or any other issues? Iv always used whole corn because I was told/read cracked corn gave them sour crop but just curious as to how true this was.
I've never seen issues with cracked corn.

I've had times when I fed large amounts of cracked or whole corn, changing back and forth according to what was available at what price. I never noticed any crop issues either way.

With whole corn, the chickens would tend to eat it all. With cracked corn they would eat the bits but that often left a bunch of dust uneaten. I think the whole corn overall made for less waste.

Chicks have to be a certain amount big to eat whole corn, but can eat cracked corn from a younger age. Adult bantams seem to handle whole corn just fine, and large chickens seem big enough when they're about half grown.

(Note: adding large amounts of corn to an otherwise-balanced ration can cause problems. When I was feeding large amounts of corn, it was in a situation that included other things specifically chosen to create a balance in the overall diet. Such chicken diets were commonly recommended about a hundred years ago, with some grains being fed whole or cracked and some other ingredients being finely ground into a high-protein "mash." Feeding the right amount of grains with the right amount of mash would provide the correct balance of total nutrients each day.)

I mostly feed whole corn but I’ve fed cracked before with no issues. I think it definitely has a potential to cause sour crop, but if it’s not their only food source (part of a mix) and they have ample grit and water I don’t see why it would cause any significant issues. My pigeons and the pigeons of many others eat sunflower seeds all the time, which are similarly pointy like cracked corn. No sour crop issues so far, I had it one time with an already sick and injured pigeon, and he didn’t even eat corn or sunflower when it happened.

TLDR: I think you’re mostly safe with cracked corn as long as other husbandry factors are in check (other food besides cracked corn, clean water, grit, clean food)

I have had trouble with whole corn causing crop issues.

I have a grinder and when it’s cold out like it’s been lately I grind them corn. They get it right before bed.

I read it helps keep them warm at night. I have not had issues with it cracked, I do set my grinder to larger pieces.

I've never seen issues with cracked corn.

I've had times when I fed large amounts of cracked or whole corn, changing back and forth according to what was available at what price. I never noticed any crop issues either way.

With whole corn, the chickens would tend to eat it all. With cracked corn they would eat the bits but that often left a bunch of dust uneaten. I think the whole corn overall made for less waste.

Chicks have to be a certain amount big to eat whole corn, but can eat cracked corn from a younger age. Adult bantams seem to handle whole corn just fine, and large chickens seem big enough when they're about half grown.

(Note: adding large amounts of corn to an otherwise-balanced ration can cause problems. When I was feeding large amounts of corn, it was in a situation that included other things specifically chosen to create a balance in the overall diet. Such chicken diets were commonly recommended about a hundred years ago, with some grains being fed whole or cracked and some other ingredients being finely ground into a high-protein "mash." Feeding the right amount of grains with the right amount of mash would provide the correct balance of total nutrients each day.)
Oh, drat, I did it again: forgot to look at which section of the forum the question is in.

The question is in the "Pigeons and Doves" section, which makes my CHICKEN experience not very relevant. Oh, well, at least I did say "chicken" several times, so hopefully it was obvious what kind of mistake I had made.

I mostly feed whole corn but I’ve fed cracked before with no issues. I think it definitely has a potential to cause sour crop, but if it’s not their only food source (part of a mix) and they have ample grit and water I don’t see why it would cause any significant issues. My pigeons and the pigeons of many others eat sunflower seeds all the time, which are similarly pointy like cracked corn. No sour crop issues so far, I had it one time with an already sick and injured pigeon, and he didn’t even eat corn or sunflower when it happened.

TLDR: I think you’re mostly safe with cracked corn as long as other husbandry factors are in check (other food besides cracked corn, clean water, grit, clean food)
Sunflowers are also part of the mix I use and didn’t think of it like that but solid point! I usually use whole corn and it will be mainly but might have some cracked mixed in as long as others haven't has tons of issues.

Oh, drat, I did it again: forgot to look at which section of the forum the question is in.

The question is in the "Pigeons and Doves" section, which makes my CHICKEN experience not very relevant. Oh, well, at least I did say "chicken" several times, so hopefully it was obvious what kind of mistake I had made.
I still appreciate the reply!

I did a little bit more research and it seems most of the issues associated with cracked corn come from contamination, though I have heard people say that the sharp pieces can lacerate the crop which is why I mentioned the sunflower seed example.

Anyways, as far as the contamination goes cracked corn is simply more susceptible to fungus than whole corn, and fungus ridden feed can also be associated with crop issues.

For what it’s worth my pigeons have eaten things they foraged like whole acorns (with the cap still on!!!) and discarded airsoft pellets from the neighbors kids and passed all without causing crop issues. I imagine that a lack of grit and water wouldn’t produce the same positive results.

I did a little bit more research and it seems most of the issues associated with cracked corn come from contamination, though I have heard people say that the sharp pieces can lacerate the crop which is why I mentioned the sunflower seed example.

Anyways, as far as the contamination goes cracked corn is simply more susceptible to fungus than whole corn, and fungus ridden feed can also be associated with crop issues.

For what it’s worth my pigeons have eaten things they foraged like whole acorns (with the cap still on!!!) and discarded airsoft pellets from the neighbors kids and passed all without causing crop issues. I imagine that a lack of grit and water wouldn’t produce the same positive results.
Perfect, looks like I’m gunna give it a shot this time. Also it always amazes me what they can fit in their mouths 😂

Back
Top Bottom