Whole Corn Vs Cracked Corn, What do you use?

Love the way his chest filled out into that beautiful full breast
Me, too. He was a true gentleman. I miss that guy. He gave back everything we gave to him and more.

With chickens and people... a little moderation and diversity is a good thing. Too much of anything is generally not healthy.
Yep.

A lot of the corn grown in the United States is genetically modified. The majority of corn seed is sold as " Round Up" ready, and is distributed by Monsanto. It contains pesticides and something called glyphosate.
The more they study this the more they know how bad it is for us and it is in everything!
It has been linked to cancer, Alzheimer's disease, ADHD and autism. Just " food for thought" but maybe people and their chickens should seriously consider eating only organic corn.
Getting off my soapbox now! :lol:

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Outstanding use of objective references for those many wild accusations.

All corn grown in the United States is genetically modified. The majority of corn seed is sold as " Round Up" ready... It contains pesticides and something called glyphosate.
The more they study this the more they know how bad it is for us and it is in everything!
It has been linked to cancer, Alzheimer's disease, ADHD and the huge increase in autism, just for starters. People and their chickens should seriously consider eating only organic corn.
Getting off my soapbox now! :lol:

Such an unfortunate and disheartening part of our society....the need to belittle people who try to share some new ideas or have a difference of opinion. There are numerous resources for this kind of information. Organic Consumers Association and Mercola.com are two good ones. It's just food for thought but it requires an open mind.

All corn grown in the United States is genetically modified. The majority of corn seed is sold as " Round Up" ready... It contains pesticides and something called glyphosate.
It has been linked to cancer, Alzheimer's disease, ADHD and the huge increase in autism, just for starters. People and their chickens should seriously consider eating only organic corn.
Getting off my soapbox now!
lol.png
Overstatements never assist matters of truth. Not all corn grown in the U.S. is GMO since many organic sources of corn are from the U.S. as well. I grow my own organic corn almost every year. I'm opposed to GMO in my food or my animals. I buy certified organic products. I've read of trials performed linking Round-Up-Ready products to sterile swine and cancer, not the others. With the amount of nations refusing Monsanto-GMO product from the U.S., it is no surprise. The same outfit who told soldiers in Vietnam that Agent Orange was safe shouldn't be trusted with food supply in my opinion. Others will do what they want. Not my problem.

In regard to whole corn or cracked corn for chickens, ease of digestibility matters. Cracked corn in 3 way scratch is a tradition for chicken feeds for a very long time. Here's some interesting information about poultry nutrition where corn is mentioned: http://www.apppa.org/dynamic_content/uploadfiles/1297/NutritionalConceptsofPasturedPoultry.pdf

Last edited:
Sorry......I didn't mean all corn....of course it doesn't include organic. Thanks for the correction.
I went back and adjusted my original post!
smile.png

Understood. I use 3 way scratch sparingly as an addition. It helps get the birds off range and back to their yards as a lure in the afternoon. Corn does help produce body heat at night during the colder months as well.

Last edited:
My clucks are used to getting a cup or two of a 5 grain mix (which includes cracked corn) tossed to them every morning, The other day I was a bit late in getting out there and they were all standing around the door to the feed room waiting for me :)

Such an unfortunate and disheartening part of our society....the need to belittle people who try to share some new ideas or have a difference of opinion. There are numerous resources for this kind of information. Organic Consumers Association and Mercola.com are two good ones. It's just food for thought but it requires an open mind.

Wasn't belittling anyone. I just find such sweeping statements (made with NO supporting evidence) amusing. I'm not even disagreeing that GMOs need more study. I simply refuse to put much credence in such emotional pleas. If you wish to persuade others, then perhaps try backing your statements with some valid, objective facts/links.

I grew up working the land and raising livestock; fifth generation in fact. I'm well aware of the changes to agriculture as we think of it. GMO in and of itself is not an evil to be feared. It is simply a fast-track of what we already do when we cross different breeds/varieties to try and bring out desired traits. What does need to be looked at is the outcomes of such actions and their long term impacts.

Back
Top Bottom