Whole Corn Vs Cracked Corn, What do you use?

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
I have always used Cracked Corn as a treat, I picked up a Bag of Whole Corn and the birds seem to love it, I feed it as a treat adn I also have mixed it with there Pellets.

I have Chickens, Gunieas,Peafowl,Pheasants and Pigeons, any issues with any of these birds eatting Whole corn?

How do you guys feed your corn as a treat?
Mixed with there Pellets?
Is corn all you feed?

Thanks

I'm curious in the replies as well. What would the benefit be to cracked corn? Easier digestibility? I can't find organic cracked corn around here and am not interested in cracking it myself. Someone told me as long as they have grit, they will be fine.

I give both and I think cracked corn it is easier on the digestive system because my hens won't eat the big pieces of whole corn. I give corn, layer feed, and some different kinds of seeds.

Last edited:
I use whole corn. I did use cracked for a while. I know that as soon as you crack grain the nutrients begin to degrade, Whole grains last much longer before they have degraded. Plus there is the loss of the fine pieces into the ground if you are using it for a scratch. I know that full size chickens have no problem with the whole kernel. I did think a bantam could have a problem, but I got a bantam by mistake this summer and she races around after the whole corn like everyone else and doesn't have a problem downing it. As far as digesting whole or cracked I have never seen a whole or partial kernel in their poop unlike some larger animals seem to leave. If they have grit there isn't much of anything that can not be processed by their gizzards.

Right now I feed both, Guess I can keep mixing it or changing it up, the price is about the same, I just was not sure if whole corn was to hard on them.

Corn should be given as a treat not their main source of food. They need layer pellets or mash for the extra nutrients and calcium they need for eggs. I have heard that whole corn will keep them warmer in the colder months as their bodies have to work harder at breaking it down.

Where in NY are you located?

Whole corn is perfectly fine for them and they love it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom