Whole flock gone

Hello. I am looking to see of anyone might have a clue to our mystery. Yesterday evening we went out to the coop to collect eggs and all 12 hens and our 1 rooster were dead in the coop. None of them in the run. They were all on one side of the coop and it was the strangest thing. No indication of a predator. They're all different ages, the oldest being 3 years and the youngest not even a year.

They had stopped laying for several months, so we added in black sunflower oil seeds, all stock sweet feed, and catfish food pellets. Within 2 days they started laying again. This was a little over a week ago. My thought initially is if it were poison, then wouldn't they be scattered through out the run and the coop?..and they all died the same afternoon... any thoughts?

I honestly haven’t looked too much into this, but could it be the avian flu? Sudden death is one of the “symptoms”. I also found this through google

Attachments

• 2C545F33-028C-4783-A221-13BBB9E0CAE7.jpeg
    2C545F33-028C-4783-A221-13BBB9E0CAE7.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 10
I honestly haven’t looked too much into this, but could it be the avian flu? Sudden death is one of the “symptoms”. I also found this through google
It is true that HPAI can cause sudden death, but you should have noticed respiratory symptoms and some obviously sick birds before death if the cause was AI. Very highly unlikely they would have ALL died on the same day.

I believe a weasel is your killer, We lost 3 hens recently, one was barely alive with blood on her neck the other 2 were free of blood and stiff they were all on the same side of the pen enclosed by hardware cloth with both doors closed and locked, I interrupted the weasel as it came back quickly after i let the surviving chickens out and brought the injured and dying hen in. It was in the coop when I went back out and as it looked out the door I shot it! my husband found a small hole it had managed to get into inside the coop... Weasel are nasty critters that will kill your entire flock just because... sorry for the loss of your flock also it had attacked my roo and chewed his eye he has no sight on that side now but recovered

Back
Top Bottom