Whole flock gone!

Wisher1000

Bama Biddy
13 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
Yesterday morning I had 24 chickens and 10 guineas. Last night at dusk, I had 24 chickens and no guineas. All of my birds return faithfully to the coop every night. The guineas will occasionally try to roost on top of the coop or in a tree next to it but they have NEVER just not shown up at bedtime. I've looked and looked all around the property (23 acres) and not found any sign of them, not one feather. I hope they are just wandering and will come home tonight. What do ya'll think? Do I give up hope? Have your's ever just left? We live in a very rural area and I don't know anyone around that has guineas. There is one neighbor who has 3 chickens, but that's all the poultry around other than mine as far as I know. I'm having a problem with hawks and occasionally hear coyotes in the woods at night, but I can't imagine that something would get all 10 at one time. I'm at a loss.

I'm so sorry! For something to attack and eat all ten of your guineas without leaving a trace on your property seems highly unlikely. I think you should hold out hope. Perhaps they all decided en masse that some obscure hiding place was the place to spend the night. Or they got trapped somewhere. Or something. Don't give up!
Good luck,

Thanks, I hope you're right. I think it would be very hard for something to get them all, too. It rained all day yesterday and last night and it is still raining. The rain has never bothered them before, but i worry that they stayed out in it all night and it will get cold this afternoon and tonight. I sure hope they're home tonight to sleep in their dry coop.

I could sure use word from others that have had all their guineas disappear at one time, and whether or not they came back and how long that took.

Last edited:
Gosh, so sorry to hear this - don't give up hope! Keeping everything crossed for their safe return, something may have scared them as it was getting dark, so perhaps they decided it was a better option to hole up somewhere for the night rather than taking the risk coming back to the coop..............................let us know what happens today - please!

They may have wandered too far, gotten spooked by a predator or a loose dog and scattered to various trees and are still afraid to come down because of the scare and because they don't know where they are. I'd try calling them while walking all around again, shaking some grain in a feed scoop... and be sure to listen for any buck-wheating or the little chirpy and trilly noises they make.

I have had one of my flocks take off on a walk up the road before, luckily one of my neighbors had to drive around them (1/4 mile away) on her way to work and called to let me know my Guineas were heading to town, all 28 of them single file, all in a line, lol. Luckily I was able to go get them and have them follow me back home (shaking the feed scoop all the way), cuz who knows how far those pea brained birds would have gone, lol.

Good luck, hope you find them or they turn up back home. If some do show up, I'd be sure to lock them in their run, that way they can help call the others back home (if the rest of them are still ok that is
fl.gif
).

TWO MILES?! Oh man, they could be anywhere. I have called and called. I walked way back in the woods and listened carefully. No sign. I only have a few neighbors so I guess I could call them and let them know to be on the lookout for a lost flock of guinea-birds. We live in the middle of a huge patch of woods, probably 40 square miles in all. They may never find their way back.
hit.gif

Last edited:
UPDATE - We were gone this afternoon and just got home. All ten guineas were in the coop with the chickens!
wee.gif
That's it though, they're grounded....no TV, no cell phone, and no computer! I mean it, the nerve of them scaring me like that.............. I bet next time they'll call if they are going to stay out all night....

Glad they came back. I am sure something spooked them into a tree close to bed time & they stayed in the tree since they thought it was safer.

UPDATE - We were gone this afternoon and just got home. All ten guineas were in the coop with the chickens!
wee.gif
That's it though, they're grounded....no TV, no cell phone, and no computer! I mean it, the nerve of them scaring me like that.............. I bet next time they'll call if they are going to stay out all night....

LOL @ they're grounded, I'd do the same thing lol. So glad they came home, you're wayyyyy lucky!!! Many have lost their flocks, never to be seen again!
You've got smart Guineas that know they've got it reeeeeeeal good there at your place, so they came home!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom