Whoo Hoo.. My Ducks are Mating!! Questions??

Chickie Mamma

Farmer at Heart
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Sherman, CT
Hello, I am so excited!
love.gif
Miss Sunshine and Rex have been mating!
love.gif
Sunshine managed to squeeze under the chicken coop and made a large "bowl - like" nest. Is this where she will most likely lay her eggs and sit on them? Rex is young, and I haven't noticed them mating until today. Will they only mate in the pool? Everytime they are in the pool he mates her 3 or 4 times before getting out.
love.gif
I don't know if he's doing it right but they just eat and sleep when they are out of the pool. Will she go broody like a chicken? Thanks for any replys!
ya.gif

Awww! Miss Sunshine has a hunky boyfriend
big_smile.png

As for mating in the water...Jack only mates Lana on land and only mates Chrissy in the water. No clue why, but they seem to enjoy this arrangement so who am I to argue
big_smile.png

She may go broody once she gets a good sized clutch going.

Quote:
Dont get your hopes up for a duck going broody, its not very common for most breeds. They tend to just lay them and go,but you may get lucky and have one that will sit on the eggs.
congrats!

Quote:
My ducks (Cayugas and one Rouen) they do it in the water on land, whenever the erg hits the drake, the drake hits a hen..
lol.png

As for setting.. I do not know... I have one hen that sets for about 4-5 hours then she's off and messing around until I put them up for the night.. She might set again the next day a few hours or she might not..

So what I have done, was mark 6 eggs with pencil... Any new eggs found in the nest is removed when she is gone..

So the way I see it now after about a week.. I just wasted 6 eggs.. I do not see how those can hatch ..

Quote:
Hello, Miss Sunshine (Crested) is 1 year old this May and Rex (Pekin Drake) is 4 months old. Her poof is not as big as it usually is. This winter she had some troubles with the "poof" feathers freezing after she would wash herself. Alot fell out, its getting fuller now..

Back
Top Bottom