"who's building an incubator"

Here are some pictures of my 10 gallon aquarium incubator. My first incubator was made of foam and it made it hard to see any of the hatching action, so I decided to try and use an aquarium. I am currently on day 10 and so far so good. I have a small 1.5" x 1.5" fan blowing across the 100W light bulb being controlled by a water heater thermostat. My wife asked me if I used a "Prego" jar on purpose!
big_smile.png

Awesome! I am building a cabinet incubator right now. Actually I almost have it built, I am waiting for the caulk, and sealant to dry before I can wire it.

I was given a wooden shipping crate. It has 1 1/2 inch thick styro foam. I covered the styro foam with sheathing, I also painted the sheathing, and put 4 coats of sealer on it. I will start again on it Thursday, because I have to wait for the sealer and caulk to dry.

can you post pics I would love to see what it looks like. what do you plan to use for a thermostat?

I am using a wafer thermostat. I am actually going to retire my fridge incubator and go ahead and take the fridge incubator's guts out, and use it to make a cabinet incubator.

Here are some pictures of my 10 gallon aquarium incubator. My first incubator was made of foam and it made it hard to see any of the hatching action, so I decided to try and use an aquarium. I am currently on day 10 and so far so good. I have a small 1.5" x 1.5" fan blowing across the 100W light bulb being controlled by a water heater thermostat. My wife asked me if I used a "Prego" jar on purpose!
big_smile.png

Hey Jed, I just wanted to say that if you mount your water heater thermostat with the metal side facing the bulb, within 1 1/2 inches of the light bulb, your temperature variations will diminish greatly. I also recommend drilling holes into the thermostat to make it even better. I have done this to both of my water heater thermostats. I can't get you the YouTube link for the video on drilling the holes into the thermostat, but if you look around, I have posted the link tons of times to help other BYCer's.
thumbsup.gif

I saw that after I set the eggs. The temp stays within a 3 degree window. I will definately make those changes for my next hatch.

yes, coturnix, japanese quail

very nice jobs, like the 10 gallon, may be a little partial to the vinobator myself!

all very, very creative.

i have to agree with you with the vinobator That one is top notch wish i could find one myself, Hats of to the vinobator!

Back
Top Bottom