Who's chickens were shipped and who's were picked up?

lol.png

Got our newest this past Wednesday from MPC. Was a bit concerned for my little Polish(Ava) but she perked right up
smile.png

My dh got the call from the PO at around 2. He couldnt get there til 2:30.

18 total chickens here, 8 are 1 yr olds from MPC (and still doing GREAT) Have 10 babies that arrived as day olds on tues of this week, all doing GREAT! I've looked at what the feed store has here and in my mind I keep seeing what MPC sent me last year....I just cant buy anything that doesnt compare to MPC shipments.

I got mine from a lady I know who raises backyard chickens as well. We drove about half an hour to pick them up and brought them home in a flannel sheet lined plastic container LOL! They were just fine and healthy and are way thriving now! I think I'd rather drive for mine, because even though the shipper might be care, it doesn't mean the people handling the mail will be.

I have had some shipped, a pair of Marans, and chicks from MPC. The rest we have picked up, either from local people, our feed store, or tractor supply. Not to mention the eggs under the broody
tongue.png
We really don't have that many chicken I swear!
hide.gif

I picked mine up, I drove 5 hours to get the ones I wanted...was majorly screwed the year before by a local feed store, all 9 pullets were ROOS! The store owner was a bit freaked when I told him how far I had to go home, but we cranked the heat and made sure we checked on their water...they did great! Today I hope to pick up 3 more from a different store!

I got my original five from a backyard breeder in the neighborhood, not from a hatchery; the next year, I hatched out more of my own under broodies.

When you pick up chicks from a feedstore, in all likelihood those chicks have been shipped through the mail to the feedstore. Shipping is just one issue, commercial hatcheries are another. My preference is to avoid shipping and hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom