Who's egg is this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lightchick, Oct 21, 2014.

1. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    This is a egg I got this morning. I only have two girls (brown sex link and black sex link) laying right now and they don't lay speckled eggs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The two other eggs are eggs from yesterday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The egg circled in orange is my Brown sex link"s and the egg circled in green is my Black sex link's.
    [​IMG]
    I only have two other girls old enough to lay yet and they are a Australorp and a SIlkie. Is it just a malfunction of the Black sex link's or is it the Australorp that's started laying? I got two egg today, this one and then one that looked like Pumpkin's (Brown sex link).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you asking due to the color, the size or the markings? If it's the markings - to me, it looks like it got knocked around pretty good in the nest box after it was laid - feet/nails of the laying hen and any others who are in the box after her can do a real number as they walk all over the eggs.

3. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sorry. I didn't get all of it typed right away. The white marks aren't poop. They are part of the egg color.

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Just a guess but since the egg is a different color and smaller, I think one of your younger girls may be starting to lay. You should know the answer in a few days.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd bet it's the australorps...and the spots are just excessive bloom...or could be one of the sexlinks and a glitch in both size and coating.
    If the links just started laying, not unusual to get a few funky eggs the first month or so...and any age hen can lay funky egg once in a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by