Who's eggs are who's???

hellfire

Songster
8 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Plymouth Devon UK
Bar sitting all day watching or rigging a camera is there a way to know who's eggs are whos like a dye on the vent? I guess it would dry to quick. I have several who lay the same colour eggs and only want certain ones to hatch. I could make a separate pen but worried I'd stress them out being separate for days.

Bar sitting all day watching or rigging a camera is there a way to know who's eggs are whos like a dye on the vent? I guess it would dry to quick. I have several who lay the same colour eggs and only want certain ones to hatch. I could make a separate pen but worried I'd stress them out being separate for days.

When its eggs from certain birds I want, it's everyone else that gets separated for the time needed to collect the eggs. Often, hens that are moved will stop laying for a time.

Last edited:
That's my concern they will stop laying and stress as my girls are free range in a large field and wood. I put 2 of the girls i need eggs from in my chick rearing pen the other day and after 2 days had to let her out as with no chicks or broodiness she stressed out bad.

That's my concern they will stop laying and stress as my girls are free range in a large field and wood. I put 2 of the girls i need eggs from in my chick rearing pen the other day and after 2 days had to let her out as with no chicks or broodiness she stressed out bad.

Free range-how about putting some nest boxes on an outside wall, lock out the hens you don't want eggs for hatching, and then open the coop later in the evening so all can perch in safety for the night.

I'll try doing that and maybe being in their usual coop won't stress them so much. I'll have to tell them you can come out once you've laid!!

Back
Top Bottom