Who's Going In the Pot??

Quote:
i would keep them all
big_smile.png

I'd vote to keep #4... good looking, and will throw fertile eggs that could hatch out larger bred chicks... equals larger eggs for future hens and more meat out of future cockerels.
smile.png

Everyone seems to be leaning towards #4 the mystery bird and I think so am I. I have a tendency toward dark feathered birds. Maybe he is a black sex link rooster? I might keep one of the 3 hamburg's too, they are so pretty!

And I don't think the turkeys are plucking out the roo's tail feathers, my turkeys and chickens completely ignore each other and they are all pasture raised, so the turkeys go one way and the chickens the other. I have had this happen before with chicks from Ideal.... They do eventually come in. Eventually. I raise them on gamebird feed, wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I like number 4. Keep him if he stays nice. Are you breeding for pets, eggs, or meat?

#3 looks like a New Hampshire pullet to me,no saddle feathers,hackle feathers don't look pointed,and a short pullet tail are you sure that's a roo?

I guess it would depend on what you wanted to keep the roo for. The Hamburgs are by far the closest to any breed standard and would be my personal choice to keep but I keep birds that we can also show in 4-H and sanctioned shows at our local fairs.

Is number 4 primarily blue or primarily black? It's hard to tell from the pic. Also, I believe most black sex link roos are barred. Is it possible that he is a black (or blue) copper Marans?

If you want more babies to grow up and become good meat, choose the last one. He's a Delaware.

#4 and the second to last are mutts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom