Who's Hatching Ducks? Hatch With Us!! *Page 3*

I have a Muscovy pipping! It's day 35 for 8 muscovies, or at least 8pm will be exactly 35 days from when they went in the incubator. I guess that means I am still in day 34?
wee.gif

I agree with duckyboy, just wait. ducks are another one of those that require a lot of patience.

and dark usually means ready, or close to it!!

What an awesome thing to find a nest!

I have a question about hatching duck eggs... I have never hatched duck eggs before, but tossed 6 eggs into my bator and forgot to write down the exact day...duh. I estimated that they should hatch around May 2nd, could be sooner though. They are Blue/Black Swedish eggs. To my surprise 5 of the 6 developed with little duckies moving around in them. I have been misting them a couple times a day, but no cooling. My problem is, I have chicken eggs in there due to hatch this Wednesday and I am not sure if that will bother the duck eggs. I don't have a separate hatcher.

My main question about the duck eggs is that I noticed today that a few of the eggs have started to look bruised. The bruised area seems to be where the duckling has pipped the air cell and is pecking around. I still see movement inside and hear pecking at the egg. Air cell has gotten bigger at the top and I can see movement from the bottom as well. Is this all normal?

My humidity has been kept at 50% the whole time. I am having an issue with my chicks getting shrink wrapped when I keep my humidity any lower. I have added water to up the humidity for my chicks to hatch on Wednesday...hopefully that won't bother the duck eggs. I know staggered hatches are not a good idea, but I honestly didn't think the duck eggs would make it this far. I was only testing them.

Thanks for any insight
smile.png

Quote:
I'm fairly new to incubating ducks too, but I have heard over and over on here that ducks do good with high humidity, and that's why many mist them if incubating only ducks. I am keeping my humidity in the 60-70% range right now while my muscovies are hatching.

ventilation is super important too, so please don't close your vents like I did in the past to control humidity. I am using a wet sponge on top of the vent directly over my fan, and it seems to be working great. I was so excited to get 30 out of 34 chicks hatch in my staggered set-up. After they hatched, I set the top over my remaining eggs, while I cleaned the bottom out--so far so good!
fl.gif

Came home from work today to find that one of my goose eggs had hatched and my Saxony eggs pipping. Checked the other incubator and found that my Cayuga eggs had started pipping two days early! Keeping my fingers crossed that we'll have ducklings tomorrow!

WOW! This is so exciting!!! So much going on!!!
pop.gif

I bet the wild mallard ducks are just fine. If you didn't lift the lid, I bet the incubator held in the heat.
fl.gif

As for all of you with pips and zips....I'm there with you cause I have 20 eggs due today/tomorrow and so far, 6 have started to pip. I have rockin' and rollin' and peeping and pipping. Nothing as dramatic as beak showing yet, but still exciting...

I did lose a one week old baby duck tonight, which was surprising. I think that the tipped over the water bottle and this one just got too wet and I was gone for 3 1/2 hours today and when I got back, I had three wet babies. This one just couldn't seem to get over it. I feel terrible.

I have my newborn brooder ready for this new crew....I'm just hoping they are OK. This is the part I hate! LOL

Mine are squakin' and a shakin' but no appearances as of yet. I expect they will hatch tonight or tomorrow osmetime, it really insn't day 28 until tonight at 9 PM. I can't wait to see what saxony babies look like - I have 5 that have made it to the finish line ( out of 20!!
ep.gif
)
which is pretty bad - but what can you do - shipped eggs are what they are.

Back
Top Bottom