Who's right? Me or Hubby???

If you really don't want to spend money on a gift, find an old toy that would appeal to her and spruce it up. She wont know the difference, but if you tell her it was yours when you were her age she may like it all the more. Depends on what type of kid, but you want something for her, at least for her to remember her birthday...so Im gonna vote for your hubby's decision...

Quote:
It's not "kids these days." Every person at every time in the past and present wants to feel special and loved. I am sorry and sad for those who did not have a history that gave them that, but it does not mean that current children should pay the price. Neither a party nor a present need to be expensive to make a child feel special. You can have kids of anynumbner over for cake, ice cream and party games without exceptional expense, and the gift needs to be something that is thoughtful and specific towards that particular child, not something expensive.

Quote:
My birthday is on Halloween and I remember my mother telling me that I did not need a cake because I was going to be getting so much candy. At the time, that really bothered me. It seemed unfair that other people got a cake on their day and candy on Halloween but I couldn't have both.

I loved making mud pies. Some of the best memories of Daddy are of him pretend eating those silly mud pies I made and decorated with sticks and leaves... Big fun. But maybe you should buy her a little something.... else. xoxox

Quote:
My mom was a single mom. Although I don't know if we were poor, my family was very broke and we went without a lot of things. I used to sneak the lunch money that my mom gave me back into her purse so that she didn't have to spend any money on me.(Hey, I was a thoughtful but hungry kid)

But at six years old, I would have preferred a present to a party. It has nothing to do with the child being ungrateful or wanting everything. It has to do with the child's youth. The gift could be something cheap from the Family Dollar Store.

Heck, I would feel shafted now if my hubby gave me a party and didn't at least give me a card. Then again, I don't like parties.

Just curious, did your daughter ask for a party? If funds are really tight, why not just ask her which she would like, a party or a gift.

Last edited:
Quote:
Parties can become more expensive--or not. At home games, movies or other activities they enjoy, chips & dips, soda or koolaide and costs can be low. Take them to laser tag or skating or other "party location" and costs can be high, They will have fun either way.

Last edited:
Hen_House_Rocks! :

Awww man guys! You're killing me!!!

She's the type of kid that most likely won't even notice if we don't buy a gift. (Especially with 18 other gifts.) She's MOST happy playing outside with sticks and mud and chickens than actual toys, anyway.

Sounds like me I would give her a gift. Maybe a voucher to buy a toy or something?​

Our youngest DDs birthday is Jan 9, we always throw birthday parties, we have a large family so we usually about 25-30 people here. I buy the kids the cute plates etc.. the adults get plain paper! lol BUT we ALWAYS buy them presents!! I still feel that our youngest gets the "shaft" as her birthday is right before our tax return richness and our oldest DDs birthday is right after!

Speaking of how some kids get parties and cake and gifts and others get shafted...my mom usually had a little something for my brother, since his birthday was in the summer months and the weather was nice. Even if it was just family, there was often a get-together.

I was born in February.
hmm.png

Plus, she hated me, soooo....needless to say, never any birthday festivities for yours truly.
lau.gif
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom