who's the daddy!?

shebetz

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Cali
back in april I rescued a cuckoo maran mama and 10 babies off the side of the road. two of them are totally black with a turquoise hue. Could the dad have been an autralorp?

[/IMG]

well, the pic isn't a very good one, being that it was very bright. their legs are more of a pinkish white. thank you for taking the time to help!

If the momma was a cuckoo Marans, and the father was not barred and not white, the female chicks are going to be mostly black no matter who the father was. they won't be any specific breed as the parents aren't the same breed. The white/pink skin of the Marans is usually dominant over yellow skin, so that doesn't help on who the potential father was. Fact is, you'll never know who the father(s) was, there's no way to narrow it down with any certainty.

thanks donrae, it really doesn't matter I guess, I love them and they are sweet and beautifully tempered, like their mama! I just found it odd that with all ten of the babies, only two ended up black, the rest barred like mama. anyway, stella and luna have a forever home! thanks again.

If the momma was a cuckoo Marans, and the father was not barred and not white, the female chicks are going to be mostly black no matter who the father was. they won't be any specific breed as the parents aren't the same breed. The white/pink skin of the Marans is usually dominant over yellow skin, so that doesn't help on who the potential father was. Fact is, you'll never know who the father(s) was, there's no way to narrow it down with any certainty.
x2

Back
Top Bottom