Whose been spurred???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tx_dane_mom, Jun 6, 2008.

1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Got my 1st dose today...by a phesant of all things. Never even thought about a phesant having spurs. If this thread thrives I will tell my tell of today in the Sams Club Parking lot.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I haven't but I have always wondered just how bad it is. I kinda always pictured a little OUCH. Now I hear tales of stitches and such and it scares me!!! I want to hear more!!!!

4. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I want to hear more too.
    What happened in the parking lot?

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I used to get spurred by my uncle's RIR roo all the time. You would always leave the coop with black and blue shins. Through your jeans mind you- I would never have worn shorts out there with that thing.

6. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Don't keep us in suspense, tell us your story!

I haven't been spurred, yet, but I need to trim some of my roosters spurs.

7. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I have a polish rooster that spurs everyone but me. He spurred me once and I gave him a good whack and he never did it again.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've been spurred multiple times by multiple pesky roosters who made lovely stew. The worst was a roo who got me real good and had I not been wearing my thick rubber boots, could have probably gone though my leg. I had half dollar sized welts on the leg he attacked. However most aren't that bad and wouldn't bruise though thick rubber boots.

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I got nailed while I was bending down... right across the face from forehead to chin across my right eye. It was my fault for not keeping a closer eye on him, and if hubby has his way, he may wind up in the stewpot yet... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I got nailed while I was bending down... right across the face from forehead to chin across my right eye. It was my fault for not keeping a closer eye on him, and if hubby has his way, he may wind up in the stewpot yet... [​IMG]

OH MY!!! Are you alright?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by