Whose hens lay 1 egg per day and what kind are they?

Carolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
The current issue of Mother Earth News page 42 under Raise Your Own Animals: "Plan on harvesting about 1 egg per hen per day".

I have several years of experience with raising chickens and I have never had hens who consisitenly, year round, regardless of age lay one egg per hen per day. I have had some that were great layers, Golden Comets, RIR but they couldn't do that. BA, nope, wellies not even close.
There is no specification of breed in this article so this could include any breed. To average 1 egg per hen per day some hens are going to have to lay more than one per day consistently to make the math work.

I am curious as to which breeds even come close.

Maybe I have the wrong kind of chickens.......or maybe this was written from an office by someone who either has a flock of super chickens she didn't want to tell us about or she is more comfortable in an office than at the chicken coop.

I would say it depends on the age more than the breed......If those are white leghorn pullets I would agree
wink.png
And what time period, can't be for the life of the hen!
roll.png
I've gotten 1 egg a day from mine...for a week at a time
big_smile.png

Last edited:
My ducks lay an egg a day each. As far as my chickens- only my white leghorn. She occasionally skips a day, but not very often.

I rescued my first hen from a parking lot, so I'm not absolutely certain what brees she is. From looking around online I think she's an ISA Brown. She's an excellent layer; she only misses a day maybe twice a month. Even with the shorter days. (I do not use any suplemental lighting)

I've had some lay an egg a day the first year with rare misses, they were primarily the ones used in the egg industry. No body did it all the time. My buff orpingtons are laying about 4 per week unless they are hiding some at times and not at others. I've never had one do it every day without fail.

What kind of ducks lay daily or near that and do they do that all year?

Thanks for all your input.

Our hens each layed about 5-6 eggs per week from early spring through Early November here in NorCal. There were odd weeks were one or more would lay every day (i.e. 7 in a row) throughout that time, but never consistently. Between molting and then shorter daylight they each lay about three a week now.

During the rainy months of Jan/Feb egg production will grid to a stop, then they'll pick up again in mid March. An egg every day is wishful thinking IMO.... although some of you may have different experiences. We're very happy with 5-6 per week per hen.
big_smile.png

Yup, if you really want egg producers White Leghorns are the way to go. Mine isn't laying yet, but I've heard they're awesome! However, don't get them if you want pets (I do, and my WL is a maniac!). However, don't you think they deserve a break?

Back
Top Bottom