Whqt are the best breeds for resale

Buckguy20

OKIE MOSES
13 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Choctaw Oklahoma
OPINIONS PLEASE !
I would like to know what breeds consistently resell better.
I have had several different breeds and currently have six pure lines going as well as a mixed flock of layers. I have had some rare breeds that don't resale well at all and other just regular breeds that have done well.
Overall I have found the heavier breeds usually do better for resale purposes. What are the most sought after chickens that do well at auctions and swap meets?
Thanks Buckguy

Last edited:
Depends on where you are, but I'd say any 'red' bird (RIR, Production Reds, New Hamp. Reds) and Barred Rocks. JMO
just don't do showgirls...I have 4 mnth olds that I can't sell for $5 locally.

That's gong to vary from place to place. In this area, puffy poodle like silkies can go for a good amount, where other areas they aren't worth even a dumpling. I find layers of any type go well here, and the fancier prettier ones can go for a pretty penny for the homes down town who can have a max of 3 hens.

I see listings for Barred Rocks and BO around here quite a bit, and at a higher price then many others (as of laying age).

I paid quite a bit for my silkie chicks locally about $6.50 each. Everytimes I see a craigslist listing so silkies, they go quite quickly around here. I know you can get Keet chicks for as little as $1 and they are always listed here!

I would guess the RIR/barred Rocks would be consistent because that is what most people think of when thinking about Farm Animals/Eggs. You can probably get better money for the exotics, but when asked most people dont think of silkies/polish etc... when thinking about chickens.

Back
Top Bottom