Why are all the hatcheries sold out of turkey? Edit: I got my pair!!!

Er, because it is too late to fatten them for Thanksgiving?
idunno.gif

I think they just lay best in spring.

Turkeys and geese only lay for a limited time.I would look for a local breeder and see if they have any young ones for sale but if you want poults you will have to wait until spring.

Hmm, I guess I may as well try hatching. I don't really care about age or breed, I just want a pet turkey like I had as a kid. I know, weird, but my husband finally caved in!

While some turkeys may still be laying a few eggs, fertillity is way down this time of year and they don't ship well in this heat. Getting shipped eggs this time of year should be a waste of money. Look locally or take a road trip. Craigslist is a good place to look. You could also do a search for S&S poulty or sandspoultry, they are in Eastern NC.

Last edited:
Quote:
Lol.. tell that to the turkey eggs I got the beginning of August.. hottest driest summer we have had.. they arrived during 110 degree temps through the mail... I had my doubts since I have had mixed results from shipped eggs.. some have done pretty well.. others didn't.. so it's always a gamble.. however with a 74% hatch rate on those turkey eggs.. i think they did pretty darn well!
While I agree that finding local eggs MAY be the best bet.. sometimes you just have to take a chance on shipped eggs

I've tried contacting S&S Poultry.. sent them an email inquiring about muscovy eggs on August 19th.. never heard back... so I don't know whats going on with them

Quote:
Lol.. tell that to the turkey eggs I got the beginning of August.. hottest driest summer we have had.. they arrived during 110 degree temps through the mail... I had my doubts since I have had mixed results from shipped eggs.. some have done pretty well.. others didn't.. so it's always a gamble.. however with a 74% hatch rate on those turkey eggs.. i think they did pretty darn well!
While I agree that finding local eggs MAY be the best bet.. sometimes you just have to take a chance on shipped eggs

I've tried contacting S&S Poultry.. sent them an email inquiring about muscovy eggs on August 19th.. never heard back... so I don't know whats going on with them

You did get lucky but it's just a rule of thumb. Some toms really loose interest when the temp gets hot and that's why fertillity drops. I have had eggs shipped late and hot but they were on cold packs and it really helps. If you find someone who has a very active breeding tom and they pick up eggs several times a day and don't leave them in the sun all day and pack them good you will be OK. It's a gamble!

Back
Top Bottom