Why are bantams sold in straight run only?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ScoobyRoo, Jan 9, 2010.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I am getting my list together and we want bantam pullets. No particular breed. Just banties as my daughter and I fell in love with our little roo we bought at a feed store last spring. Looking in some catalogs they sell straight run only. Why is that? Is it because they are such little chicks that they fear they may hurt them trying to sex them? Does any other hatchery sell pullet banties? I'm guessing that I may just end up buying a dozen or so from the feed store this spring rather than spend the extra $ on shipping and handling. And I can get just a few rather than the minimum.

2. bubblebean11

bubblebean11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    20 min N of Denver
    The reason is because they are so small, and run the risk of being injured in the sexing process.

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    That is what I thought. I just called my feed store and they said they will be ordering banties this year. So I'm good with that.

4. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    You can get sexed bantams from My Pet Chicken, but to my knowledge that's the only place you can buy them sexed. (You pay for it, too!)

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    And there are plenty of posts on here every year about the "sexed" banty outcomes...

6. Green Ridge MO

Green Ridge MO Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Green Ridge, Missouri
    Could you not feather sex?

7. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    I would imagine that is it REALLY hard to do that on a banty

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:You can only do that with Sex-links

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I've vent sexed my quails and gotten 95% accuracy (one was an iffy, turned out a male). So if I can do 19/20 right on quails, I'm going to suggest that it's not in thier interests to sex banties.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:You can only do that with Sex-links

was going to say the same thing.
    It's just no feasible to sex bantams, isn't near impossible, and accuracy is really just a 50-50 guess. most hatchery large fowl have certain marker that are much easier to distinguish the sex by, everything's just too tiny on bantams

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by