Why are many coops elevated off the ground

We did not have a coop, our chickens were on their own. We did have a very large barn, machine shed, a four bin grainery, two wood stave silo's, an ice house and smoke house and some small odd buildings where we used hand cranked tools to remove corn kernels and grind our own corn and wheat.
The reds took up the machinery shed. The leghorns stayed in the lower level of the barn which had pens for the three milk cows, one or two steers, pigs and sheep. It was warm from the body heat, and there was always good pickings of dung.
Grandpa had two huge dogs, i never knew the breed but they weighed about 150 to 180 lbs each. He would let them loose at night, they did not bother the chickens and we would often find dead weasels, coons, possums, skunks, bobcats and stray dogs in the daytime.There were no coyotes in northern Ohio fifty and sixty years ag:hmmur only "worry" came from above.
We had about twenty good red sitters, they would sit on 6 to 10 eggs and hatch 4 to 6 chicks each.
About one rooster and one hen would grow to an adult from each clutch.
Did you ever try to catch a chicken on open ground? They run like hell. The reds ducked for cover or the livestock when an Eagle, Hawk, Falcon, Owl, or Turkey Vulture circled overhead.
Vultures can and will take live chickens and chicks, i have seen it happen. Often other predators are blamed. We sometimes had a rare black bear or cougar come through, but they were not any trouble. In the open the leghorns were sitting ducks, i guess their brains were bred out, by the first molt we would butcher twenty or so remaining out of fifty.About six months before the first molt, grandpa would buy fifty leghorn chicks for two cents each. They were protected their first month. Grandpa liked white eggs and lots of them.
Chickens have survived for millions of years without our "help". Mainly from Asia they were here with the Sabre tooth cat, giant lions, wolves, leopards, hyenas, wild cats, bears, and a host of other predators and most likely will still be here when humans are long gone.

If under your deck seems to be the best site, and you are comfortable with the idea of your birds being right there in your living space (I'm assuming here that you use your deck as much as I do!) I see no reason not to go for it. If you're concerned about rats/mice, then only put out enough feed in the morning for one day, maybe some scratch or corn in the winter evenings to help keep them warm. Excess food is the main thing that seems to attract rodents, from my experience and what I've read.

My own coop is elevated 2.5-3 feet, mostly to give a nice sheltered area of run space, and because construction was easier that way in my sloped yard. I'm in the city (lots of rules and regs) so I had to have a relatively small, fully-enclosed run area, complete with either a solid or fenced roof, that is "aesthetically appropriate". Total square footage was important to me in my planning, so the idea of maximizing on that with an elevated coop was my big deciding factor. The entire footprint of the run/coop combo is 4 x 12, with the coop being 4 x 4, and 4-5 feet high on the inside (sloped roof). My hens like to roam around the yard in the afternoons and evenings when I'm home, but when they are shut in the run, they LOVE to be under the coop. Maybe you could allow them some access to the non-coop area under your deck to provide a similar shady outdoor spot?

Zorba! Thank you. "2 MOLTS" is the best way to figure.when to butcher that ive heard.
I love the pictures you created of the farm. Nice post.

Mine is elevated for several reasons, one being the pen attached to it will lead under there, so built in protection from the elements and next so i don't have to dig it out in the winter.. i have to 'step up' into the coop and i am cool with that, it also would prevent it from flooding in extreme rain or the heavy spring melt.

Last edited:
Whippitire, your coop is nicer than my first apartment. It looks ten feet tall, assuming that is an adult standing in front of it and those are 6 foot step ladders!

Now that I have worked on leveling site under the deck the past day, I am starting to think that two coops would be the ideal. One for summer, one for winter! See, the best thing about an under deck space is no snow accumulation on the roof and in the yard/ pen. Also the concrete block wall on the north side is as good a windbreak as it gets. We have no bug worries in winter! Also you don't exactly sit outside here from November to March. But when summer comes along, it would be nice to have everything away from the deck and keep the flies away.

The most ideal would be a plan for a porta- coop. Put it together with screws, not nails, for disassembly and reassembly come spring. Oh, the possibilities! One floor joist and platform assembly that stays in place, with a second one in the summer site, would mean only the walls and roof would move.

We did not have a coop, our chickens were on their own. We did have a very large barn, machine shed, a four bin grainery, two wood stave silo's, an ice house and smoke house and some small odd buildings where we used hand cranked tools to remove corn kernels and grind our own corn and wheat.
The reds took up the machinery shed. The leghorns stayed in the lower level of the barn which had pens for the three milk cows, one or two steers, pigs and sheep. It was warm from the body heat, and there was always good pickings of dung.
Grandpa had two huge dogs, i never knew the breed but they weighed about 150 to 180 lbs each. He would let them loose at night, they did not bother the chickens and we would often find dead weasels, coons, possums, skunks, bobcats and stray dogs in the daytime.There were no coyotes in northern Ohio fifty and sixty years ag:hmmur only "worry" came from above.
We had about twenty good red sitters, they would sit on 6 to 10 eggs and hatch 4 to 6 chicks each.
About one rooster and one hen would grow to an adult from each clutch.
Did you ever try to catch a chicken on open ground? They run like hell. The reds ducked for cover or the livestock when an Eagle, Hawk, Falcon, Owl, or Turkey Vulture circled overhead.
Vultures can and will take live chickens and chicks, i have seen it happen. Often other predators are blamed. We sometimes had a rare black bear or cougar come through, but they were not any trouble. In the open the leghorns were sitting ducks, i guess their brains were bred out, by the first molt we would butcher twenty or so remaining out of fifty.About six months before the first molt, grandpa would buy fifty leghorn chicks for two cents each. They were protected their first month. Grandpa liked white eggs and lots of them.
Chickens have survived for millions of years without our "help". Mainly from Asia they were here with the Sabre tooth cat, giant lions, wolves, leopards, hyenas, wild cats, bears, and a host of other predators and most likely will still be here when humans are long gone.

I really like your post. Most of us dont know how and never will again it used to be on a farm ...self sustaining..Todays farmer seem to raise one thing mostly and farming is more a side job than it used to be when there were many real farms and no big conglomerates. Very interesting post

.I made a very airy summer tractor coop my hens love.The floor part of one wall and 3 long 3 " tall windows all around made of hardware cloth but enough wood to keep the rain off and the windows have flip up shutters.I like it so well i am making a second for my baby chicks.Oh its also 2 ft off the ground so underneath ventilation.Going to add a removeable wood floor over the wire one for cooler weather.

Sounds good, Roxanne. In the summer you want them to be moving about. In the winter, my oh my who would want to keep shoveling in different areas? Any northern tips for the birds? Keeping them happy eventhough they are confined more? I even thought about setting up a garage corner, but that would not be well enough ventilated, I fear.

Back
Top Bottom