Why are many coops elevated off the ground

I didn't have an option when I built my chicken tractor
lau.gif

I didn't the first time around. My coop sat right on the ground.
The second time around I figured out two things...

1.) The birds need every bit of ground they can get their little feet on during the day. So, the ground under the coop made a great addition to the existing run area. Along that same thought, the extra area was covered and made a SWEET area to put feed and keep it dry.

2.) I learned that the birds would not get bumble foot if I raised the floor so that the birds did not have to jump so far off the roost. Now, I could of lowered the roosts, but then I would of had to of lowered the nesting boxes too OR the birds would of started sleeping in them at night. Seriously, I like the nesting boxes up high so that I don't have to bend over to get the eggs.

One of my coops is elevated off of the ground for the following reasons:
1. Elevated so predators cannot get in.
2. On the hot Louisiana days, they can either hang out on the inside out of the direct sunlight or lay below the covered coop in the shade.
3. Easy access for cleaning. I lay hay (bedding) on the wire floor. When it's time to clean, I remove the hay and the wire floor is pretty much clean. The hay catches the poop. If there are any pieces of poop, I can push them through the wire.
4. My (open air) raised coops gives my chickens the opportunity to have cool nights during those hot Louisiana summer months.
5. When it rains, they don't have to go into a closed building/chicken house/coop to get out of the rain. They can jump in their raised coop and watch the rain drops and take a nap. They can even chill out under the coop and get out of the rain and still get fresh air (outside)
6. If they see a hawk, they can run under the raised coop for protection.

A lot of the same reasons.

I wanted to maximize my space, so having a raised house allowed the girls to have space below the house
We get heavy rains, and I wanted the house up off the ground in case of flooding
It so much easier to clean the house when it's at waist height! I cannot emphasize this enough!
I'm not sure if I could scientifically prove this, but I do think it keeps the hen house cleaner.

I love the idea of the hay over the wire to catch the poop! You can get the poop trapped and the compostable substance all in the same shovel or scoop. Does it need to be hay, or could straw serve the same purpose? It has been so dry and windy here of late. it has seemed there has been little need for either.

Here is a picture of mine elevated off of the ground. It's about 14" off of the ground.

I like it for many reasons. It adds more space in the run for the chickens to be. It keeps predators and other animals from living under the coop. A place to go for the chickens to get out of the weather, easier to weed eat next to the coop and not tear up the bottom wood. Easier to clean out and get the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom