Why are my chickens running from me?

Bp10244

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
NW Georgia
I have 8 chicks (6 pullets and 2 cockerels). Lately all of them have been running from me every chance they get and they don’t like being held very much anymore. Is there any reason for this or are do they just not enjoy being held and stuff?

Chickens are both prey and predator animals, depending on the size of the creature in their vicinity. If you'll fit in their mouth, you're prey. If you won't, you could potentially eat them. Any large creature, especially if approaching from above is perceived a threat. Depending on breed, it takes time.
So should I continue to hold them even if they resist or should I give the few that don’t enjoy me som space?

In most cases, it is breed dependent. Very calm docile breeds will allow you to pick them up but more skittish, wary and aloof breeds may take up to a year to be convinced you don't plan on eating them (yet).
The latter are breeds that are more predator proof during the day because they see threats coming. The calm friendly breeds like silkies are the ones that get picked off by hawks and other predators.
Taking the time to sit in the brooder for hours on end and giving mealworm treats can win their heart. I just don't have time for that.

I starting going out to mine and would bring treats. As I got near them I would do a specific whistle and then give them the treat. They got to the point where they could be across the horses field and I could get them to coming running to me by doing the whistle. Some would even fly over the fence. I can get them to come to me any time I do the whistle. I just make sure I have something for them every time.

That's a good plan. I can call my birds too. And even if they are annoyingly under foot, being they are Penedesencas means I can't pick one up and if I do, they scream like it is their last breath.

Back
Top Bottom