Why are My Chicks are dropping like flys

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandbed1, Jul 28, 2016.

1. sandbed1

sandbed1 New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    [​IMG]Can anyone help? My chicks have been so well looked after but at the weekend i moved them out of my small brooder, into a larger one. They were all fit and healthy,but 1 by 1 was dying and it looks like all of them will. they have there heads down and look limp and lifeless,s they are large foul Brown Leghorns anyone who has these birds will no they are very flighty. can anyone help??? i have lost nearly 50 chicks[​IMG]

2. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Do they have bloody stools? If so I'd say coccidiosis.
    -Liv

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cocci could definitely be a problem, but look at other things such as what type of waterer are you using? Is it a nipple waterer, and are they all getting enough? How is the heat where you live, are they inside or out? Are you using a heat lamp or not? Are there fumes from something that can make them sick? Coccidiosis can cause sleepy looking, weak, puffed up chicks, runny or bloody poops, not eating and ruffled feathers. Corid (amprollium) in the water--2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days is the treatment.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old are the chicks? Indoors or outdoors? Temps in the brooder? Pictures of the setup? What are you feeding? Have they had any contact with adult chickens yet?
    More info needed.

5. sandbed1

sandbed1 New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    They are all inside they feeding on chick crumbs they have heat lamp set up the right temperature plenty water. Sawdust and paper for bedding they have not been in contact with any chickens I will send pictures when I'm at home

6. sandbed1

sandbed1 New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    Hi sorry I have just read some more of their comments yes some of them had bloody stools what causes this please

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What kind of chick crumbs? Medicated or unmedicated? Exact temps in the brooder? How warm is the warm zone? How cool is the cool zone? How old?

8. sandbed1

sandbed1 New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    Cheers everyone who replied to my post.i think that the diagnostic is coccidiosis.thanks again for all the help[​IMG][​IMG]

9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Coccidiosis is highly unlikely if they have never come in contact with dirt or adult birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by