why are my fantails heads so far back???

You have more show quality birds... Top breeders like the head to be set way back on the body... some photos I have seen you can't even see the head from the front of the bird.. only a huge breast!

I prefer the more natural shaped ones myself... they may not win an prizes in a show.. but they are more beautiful to me... Here are some of mine...

That i can think of, as I'm half asleep.. there are five types of fantails, if not including "fantasy" pigeon breed.

"American fantails", are standard show bred to look as much like turkeys hehehe seeming as possible, n neck n head shaking common breed traits when heads not back.
"Indian fantails", have no turkey neck, have a light head creast etc whatever called, and long feathering on feet.
"Mindians", are tiny indian fantails, and odd neat that was thought from someone who had runts from large bred show stock, n made tiny breed that a lot more of can be kept, and those without room for some showy large stock, can have showy small stock now.
"English fantails" are a breed, but most out there and even shown birds, are almost always just american and indian fantail mixes, or poor quality indian fantails, and have indian look mostly n no head crest n light foot featherin.
"Garden fantails", are a breed but mostly just poor stock or cross of others, or fantails and other breeds.

Last edited:
That i can think of, as I'm half asleep.. there are five types of fantails, if not including "fantasy" pigeon breed.

"American fantails", are standard show bred to look as much like turkeys hehehe seeming as possible, n neck n head shaking common breed traits when heads not back.
"Indian fantails", have no turkey neck, have a light head creast etc whatever called, and long feathering on feet.
"Mindians", are tiny indian fantails, and odd neat that was thought from someone who had runts from large bred show stock, n made tiny breed that a lot more of can be kept, and those without room for some showy large stock, can have showy small stock now.
"English fantails" are a breed, but most out there and even shown birds, are almost always just american and indian fantail mixes, or poor quality indian fantails, and have indian look mostly n no head crest n light foot featherin.
"Garden fantails", are a breed but mostly just poor stock or cross of others, or fantails and other breeds.
What breed to you think mine are? Or are they just poor quality American Fantails?

@jak,
id say yours, show lesser neck bend and more petite frame,they could just becalled non show type fantails, as standard that american fantails in usa have anyway that's ridiculous to me but pretty (standards can vary greatly from country to country), they wouldn't be neck bent n back enough, n old standard would have at least thicker shorter legs n rounder body, less focus on chest. I'm no judge or expert by any means.

My too young squeaker pair, generously given to me by my friend, are already awsome examples of tails. reast im not sure on, but should be great droppers though apparently these can fly pretty great, but one type told looks same that can fold tail up some good and does fly, show type ones should be able to flutter round off ground some and up to low perches.

american english same bird americans bred the modern fantail for its extreme look for show purpose ,the mini indian is the originle bird the birds seen at the shows are birds that many years ago where crossed with hungarian house pigeons to get longer feathers and that increased there size

Back
Top Bottom