Why are my girls so boney???

winekntrychicks

Pooper Peeper
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Sebastopol, CA
I would think that at 26-27 weeks they shouldn't be so boney. They are eating lay crumbles, scratch, and oyster shell free will and some times goodies from the kitchen. Any suggestions???

Do they have lice or mites. To find out flip them upside down and look at their feather near their bum. you will see the buggers running around and also see egg "nests" at the base of their feathers. If you do have this dust them with sevin dust from the garden store. dust the coop where they stay. There is also a spray that you can spray on the wood work in the coop to kill off the bugs running around.

They are laying
They have been wormed
They have been de louced, etc
They have been Sevined
They have been DE'd
They have fresh water
They are on Avia Charge....mind you I have been doing all of this with in the last 4 weeks-so far all I notice is loose poo, just loose watery and puffy. I have already treated (4 weeks ago) for Cocci, They are preaning, dust bathing, tail feathers up at attention. We had some heavy rain and the run got soaked (it's covered now)and they pick in the dirt...........

Last edited:
I'm stumped . . .

It may help to actually put them on a scale and see how they compare with the standards.

Here's something that I can't quite figger out - does a pullet actually gain any weight during its first few weeks laying?

Here's what I mean: Just looking around and adding things up - a pullet supposedly gains about 250 grams during its 6th month of life. But, the ovaries and oviduct are almost non-existent prior to maturity. Combined, they weigh something over 100 grams (if I've got that right) when the pullet is laying. And, this isn't taking account some of the developing eggs, I don't believe.

As soon as an egg weighing 60 grams is layed, another one begins its journey down the oviduct. Meanwhile, others are lining up behind it.

So, does the newly laying pullet gain any weight during those first weeks or is she "borrowing" weight from other parts of her body during that time? She may have a good reason to begin to look a little "boney."

Just a thought . . .

Steve

hmmmm....I will have to bring one up tomorrow and weigh her. Their crops all full then empty. I keep the feeder full of all items as listed, so they eat at free will......I'm stumped as well

i toss out about a hand full of corn per each bird and I pick clover and grass almost everyday and throw in. My EE's look a little bonier than my RIR, I think its because their backs are broader. I cant answer your question but suggest if it may be the breed.

Back
Top Bottom