Why are my Turkeys Panting?

ChickenChaser

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Sunny Florida
Hi to All
I am new to your site and I need a little help. I have started to raise three standard bronze turkeys. I ended up with two toms and one hen. I am concerned because they look like they are always panting. They have an automatic watering bowl. I do understand that the heat could play a part in this. I live in Florida and it is peak heat right how. They are in complete shade. I just want to know if this is normal and that is how they cool off or if there might be a problem. They are gaining weight just fine. They were hatched in the midle of April. They seem healthy and friendly. Thanks for your input.
smile.png

May be the heat. My chickens pant when it is really hot. Try giving them cold watermelon or other fruits. Its just a way to keep cool, like dogs pant when they are hot.

Thanks for the input. You all seem to agree that the heat is the problem. I figured as much but wanted to be sure. So thanks. We put a utlility fan out there to give them a breeze and some watermelon and icecubes. They seem to like the treats. Thanks again!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Mine does the same thing. I think it's just the heat. I took him out of the coop and put him in the back yard where he would have more space and be able to find cool spots. So far, it seems his favorite is sitting in the bird bath looking in the kitchen window! lol Cute, but makes a nasty mess in the back yard, so he is moving this week to a friend's house who has a much larger pen where he will have more space and be happier.

Back
Top Bottom