Why are the membranes shrinkwrapping???

trying

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
I had a chick pip yesterday afternoon. Last night I could still see her pecking and making some progress. This morning she is dead

and the membrane appears to have shrunk around her. I have the humidity high. I did have to help the one from yesterday and wonder if this could be from me opening the incubator even for a second. I tried to be faster then just adding the water.......maybe it was the crucial moment. They are at 24 days now.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sorry about your issues here. Shrink wrapping stems from improper humidity in the incubator during lockdown to hatch and opening the lid during this time as well. What humidity level do you right now? You should be around 65% to 70%. And yes, you should never open the lid when they are pipping. Dries them out. Just try not to open the lid when there are any pips, you can open it if there aren't any. And make sure your humidity is up high enough.

Good luck with the rest of your hatch.

My humidity is high (I live in Va and they are in the basement where the humidity is naturally higher) and we have water in the incubator . It reaches about 80%....

The one that I did help yesterday (apparently killing new one....sigh) is still alive. She sounds very raspy when breathing. Like she has fluid in her lungs. Is there a way to help her. This sound is why I became involved with her in the first place! I am not sure I am cut out for this hatching thing. I have loved it when it goes well but, really am having a hard time with them not doing well.

My humidity is high (I live in Va and they are in the basement where the humidity is naturally higher) and we have water in the incubator . It reaches about 80%....

The one that I did help yesterday (apparently killing new one....sigh) is still alive. She sounds very raspy when breathing. Like she has fluid in her lungs. Is there a way to help her. This sound is why I became involved with her in the first place! I am not sure I am cut out for this hatching thing. I have loved it when it goes well but, really am having a hard time with them not doing well.
I do understand what you are talking about. When the hatches go good, enjoyable. When they don't go as planned, not so enjoyable.

It is never advised to help them out of the shell as many times they don't make it and you end up putting them down. So if they can't come out themselves, let them be.

But since your humidity is up, it was probably the opening of the lid. You should always try to avoid opening it during any pipping stages unless there is an emergency. I have done it in the past and what I do is not only be quick about it, but use a spray bottle and spray the eggs and everything well and quickly shut the lid. Opening the lid really does dry them out. It is possible your humidity gauge is incorrect. I like to use two of everything...thermometers and hydrometers. That way I know if something is off.

When I have had to open during hatch - I always add a sopping wet paper towel to the incubator as well as being quick about opening and getting what I need to get out. I have had good success with this method.

Two Crows gave you straight talk. I would have said pretty much the same thing.

I understand your feelings , I used to raise dogs and assisted at every whelping. I lost puppies and/or had tube feeding accidents - everyone around me was sick of my "mourning periods." I took every loss badly and blamed myself for them even when the vet said it was not because of my intervention.

It doesn't make you a bad person if you decide incubation is not for you. You can get a lot of joy from raising chicks you get from others.

I did put a wet towel in......I am wondering if their shells are to think or something!

My husband is for sure tired of "chick" talk!!! We will see how the rest go. I am not sure why they have not pipped yet. I am assisting no more! I almost feel like i should just check back in a few days....I have loved so many parts of this experience. I just feel so responsible for these little lives.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the chicks you lost. You might also want to check your temperature, you seem to be having late hatches which usually means low or inconsistent temperatures, late chicks tend to be weaker.

Back
Top Bottom