Why are the nests/hen houses in the dark - or R they (supposed to be?)

LaceSocks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
Ok, I followed directions and many different bits of advice and online articles when I built my chicken coop. Ultimately, I discovered that their nests are off the ground, and somewhat in the dark... Some pics I see of the hen houses look like they are in full darkness... BUT I thought hens only lay in the daylight ???

So I am just a bit confused... is it better to have their nest in the dark or...? Since I got my ladies (2) about 2 weeks ago, the eggs have increased so maybe I am doing something right... Any input would be helpful!!!!

They like their privacy. My girls nests are off the floor to keep them feeling safe. They were open on one side but they didn't like it so I gave them little curtains
smile.png
Privacy makes them feel safe and comfy.

I would say they like a quiet, "shaded" area to lay in.....not really a dark area.....Hens just like to feel very safe and cozy when they lay their eggs......

Hens do like their privacy when they are "doing their thing". That is potentially where they will be spending a lot of time and raising their young. They want to be as far away from other chickens and predators as possible, in a dark, out-of-the-way place that noone will look.

Per TSC website:

Nests

Provide at least one nest for every 4-5 females in the flock. To encourage your hens to lay eggs in their nests instead of on the floor or outside, situate the nests in an area away from the general activity of the henhouse. Some people further entice their hens by hanging a flap of burlap or thin plastic over the entrance of the nest.

Quote:
Quote:
Which explains why Sprinkle hides behind the nest box and lays her eggs down there! But shes laying on the ground, but whatever floats her boat! lol

Quote:
Thank you!!! I might do that to see if that can get Sprinkle to stop laying on the floor.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom