Why are they doing this thing that I evidently don't have a word for?

Because they can't reach the sleeve of your shirt.
lau.gif

Mine do it too,mostly on the ground and often when they have a long strand of grass hanging out their beak.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes one of my new pullets had a split in her beak (she is also the runt) and I was a little worried since I'm new to chickens. But I noticed they all wipe off their beak on the ground or on a cinder block after I give them kefir or yogurt or any wet food. In two days she no longer had the split- I was so happy about that!

By the way I just found their first egg about 1/2 an hour ago! It's about half size of the ones I just bought from another lady (thinking I had a ways to wait for eggs).

Hey! Want to see something really, really funny? Take a jar of peanut butter out to the run and let the troops eat it off a spoon!

They LOVE peanut butter! But watch the beak-cleaning then shift into super over-drive!

Good times!

It's a bird thing - all my parrots and soft-bills do this beak wiping thing, too.
Thank Whomever that chickens don't do the beak grinding nitey nite thing - it's creepy enough hearing the parrots 'sharpening' their weapons - I mean, beaks. lol

Yes to clean their beaks. I raise birds and they all so that. Even my 2 Yorkies do that. But they use the only expensive rug I have in the house or my chair which is the only expensive pc. of furniture in the house !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom