Why aren’t Black Copper girls laying?

pntdhorses

Songster
6 Years
Oct 18, 2015
SE Kansas
I just purchased 3 Black Copper Maran hens on September 21st from a local Swap/Sell meet at Tractor Supply. They are around 6 to 7 months old and just were starting to lay.

I have them quarantined in a very comfortable space in my barn and they seemed to have settled in nicely. I’ve have received a total of 3 eggs between them and that was within the first 2 days I had them. Since then not a one of them has layed! So it’s been a bit over a week now and not one single egg amongst the 3 of them. They seem and look healthy, no mites. What do you think the problem could be that they just aren’t laying?

What you describe is very typical for hens that have just moved to a new home. You may get an egg initially, since it was already in the works when you brought them home, but subsequent eggs may require a breaking in period.

Be patient, they will start laying again as they become settled into their new home.

Chickens are very sensitive to change and a move to a new environment can be upsetting. I could take a while for them to actually get comfortable and settle in, maybe a couple weeks. Many birds quit laying during this adjustment period. The eggs laid at first were just already in the reproductive tract and on their way out anyway.

Of course there could be many other reasons as well, including deceitful sellers. Some people will try to sell young cockerels mixed with laying pullets, and inexperienced buyers may not be able to tell a difference. Or they could be older hens slowing down laying for the winter.

Let's just hope your 3 birds are only adjusting to their new home :D

*edit* didn't see previous answer before posting. Sorry azygous!

What you describe is very typical for hens that have just moved to a new home. You may get an egg initially, since it was already in the works when you brought them home, but subsequent eggs may require a breaking in period.

Be patient, they will start laying again as they become settled into their new home.
Ditto Dat^^^

Back
Top Bottom