Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
Quote:
I'm sure in 10 years the feed quality has gone down. Quality of everything else has. I read that to give yolks that orange color feed them marigolds. But on the other hand, it might be the breed of bird too. My neighbor's daughter couldn't eat the eggs at her friend's house cuz their yolks were so orange and they were backyard eggs. No sure what breed of chickens they are....would love to know actually, since I hatched 4 of her eggs last spring so I have 2 of that breed in my flock right now....but they are something with "brown" or "red" in the name. (Gotta love information from kids. don't ya? LOL)

No, it can't be because of the breeds. I had Easter Eggers and Buff Orpington's back then, too, same as I do now. A couple of the other breeds are different. But all the eggs back then of four or five breeds were orange, and all the eggs of my four breeds now are the same--medium yellow.

If you want to orange up your yolks feed the girls more green. Grass, alfalfa, clover or anything like that. The more they eat of the green the oranger your yolks will be. I do sprouts over the winter to supplement the grass they would normally mow on. I also keep the brussel sprouts growning in the garden. Every day I go uncover one and pull the plant out. I toss them it and the next day they have it eaten down to just the woody end of the stalk. I also toss them cabbage that is still out there. There is also swiss chard, leaf lettuce and a few odds and ends that I can dig out of the snow and run down to them. They love it and it sure cuts into the amount of feed they will otherwise eat. I also feed them the chaff from the horse hay and will chop them some hay once a day. Greens are very good for them. As long as they have free choice feed they will pick and choose what they need. They seem to be smarter than us.

Quote:
No, it can't be because of the breeds. I had Easter Eggers and Buff Orpington's back then, too, same as I do now. A couple of the other breeds are different. But all the eggs back then of four or five breeds were orange, and all the eggs of my four breeds now are the same--medium yellow.

If you want to orange up your yolks feed the girls more green. Grass, alfalfa, clover or anything like that. The more they eat of the green the oranger your yolks will be. I do sprouts over the winter to supplement the grass they would normally mow on. I also keep the brussel sprouts growning in the garden. Every day I go uncover one and pull the plant out. I toss them it and the next day they have it eaten down to just the woody end of the stalk. I also toss them cabbage that is still out there. There is also swiss chard, leaf lettuce and a few odds and ends that I can dig out of the snow and run down to them. They love it and it sure cuts into the amount of feed they will otherwise eat. I also feed them the chaff from the horse hay and will chop them some hay once a day. Greens are very good for them. As long as they have free choice feed they will pick and choose what they need. They seem to be smarter than us.

I used to use straw back then. Now I use shredded pine bedding. Surely that can't account for the difference. I mean, they produced eggs back then, these new hens produce eggs now. Mainly, I'm curious about the difference between then and now. But I will definitely start feeding them more of the foods you mention. Those orange yolks just looked healthier. But would that also make hens lay better? I see many who are having problems are also free-ranging, so I wouldn't think fresh green food is an issue, right, one way or the other?

Quote:

I used to use straw back then. Now I use shredded pine bedding. Surely that can't account for the difference. I mean, they produced eggs back then, these new hens produce eggs now. Mainly, I'm curious about the difference between then and now. But I will definitely start feeding them more of the foods you mention. Those orange yolks just looked healthier. But would that also make hens lay better? I see many who are having problems are also free-ranging, so I wouldn't think fresh green food is an issue, right, one way or the other?

Did you use straw or hay? Straw is yellow (comes from oat stalks or such) and used for bedding sometimes or in nests. Hay is green as it is comes from grass or alfalfa or a combination. I feed the girls the same thing I feed my horses. I would agree that there is a difference in processed feeds. As corn or other ingredients are modified to grow better without all the required nutrients and farm land is used and abused by large corporations in an effort to increase yields. Farm land has become depleted of many of the minerals that are vital to life and yet things are still growing well there. Makes one wonder what it is doing to our bodies. It's a good reason to produce what foods you can. But these same products are put into our animal feeds. Are they missing some important ingredients for a healty long life? IDK I do know that chickens will search out things they need in their bodies if allowed to. Mine travel over a good portion of the lower half of our property, run rampid into my neighbors fields and forest when there is no snow covering, and have even been known to chase and catch large rodents. They have also tried to catch a fox and a racoon, but my shrieking tends to scare the animals away. I have a blood thirsty bunch. Of course if I had 70 or more chickens chasing and pecking me I would run too. The other half will sit back and wait for the kill and then try to steal bits. I've had to chase down chickens on more occasions than I can remember to get that hugh still squirming norway rat away. Eww. They also take care of any insects that have the misfortune of being found. But if you watch them they will eat a ton of grasses. They eat this blade here and the slip there. It's amazing how they know just what to eat.

Quote:
Are you talking the feed or alfalfa pellets? If they like it they will eat it. I purchase alfalfa pellets for over the winter when I'm being lazy. Mine won't eat the pellet, so I put them through the grain mill and walla they have crumbles. Then they eat it just fine. If yours want to eat it I don't see a problem, but i wouldn't let it become their main diet. A good poultry mix is best.

TWO Eggs for Christmas from my girls. Wonderful

Wish one was blue tho. I can't wait for those blue eggs. Faces still pink on the lavs tho. Sigh

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Quote:
Hey Merry Christmas! And
wee.gif

Quote:
Hey Merry Christmas! And
wee.gif

I got a total of FOUR eggs today. A new ALL TIME HIGH. I am soooo excited. Maybe they are going to start to lay. If they do, I will still stop in to see how you all are doing. I promise

Quote:

Did you use straw or hay? Straw is yellow (comes from oat stalks or such) and used for bedding sometimes or in nests. Hay is green as it is comes from grass or alfalfa or a combination. I feed the girls the same thing I feed my horses. I would agree that there is a difference in processed feeds. As corn or other ingredients are modified to grow better without all the required nutrients and farm land is used and abused by large corporations in an effort to increase yields. Farm land has become depleted of many of the minerals that are vital to life and yet things are still growing well there. Makes one wonder what it is doing to our bodies. It's a good reason to produce what foods you can. But these same products are put into our animal feeds. Are they missing some important ingredients for a healty long life? IDK I do know that chickens will search out things they need in their bodies if allowed to. Mine travel over a good portion of the lower half of our property, run rampid into my neighbors fields and forest when there is no snow covering, and have even been known to chase and catch large rodents. They have also tried to catch a fox and a racoon, but my shrieking tends to scare the animals away. I have a blood thirsty bunch. Of course if I had 70 or more chickens chasing and pecking me I would run too. The other half will sit back and wait for the kill and then try to steal bits. I've had to chase down chickens on more occasions than I can remember to get that hugh still squirming norway rat away. Eww. They also take care of any insects that have the misfortune of being found. But if you watch them they will eat a ton of grasses. They eat this blade here and the slip there. It's amazing how they know just what to eat.

I don't free range because of the varmints--LOTS of coyote, some bobcats, some fox, as well as owls, hawks. My property is surrounded by pretty heavy timber. Oh, and then I have gun dogs.

I mean straw, not hay.

Quote:
Are you talking the feed or alfalfa pellets? If they like it they will eat it. I purchase alfalfa pellets for over the winter when I'm being lazy. Mine won't eat the pellet, so I put them through the grain mill and walla they have crumbles. Then they eat it just fine. If yours want to eat it I don't see a problem, but i wouldn't let it become their main diet. A good poultry mix is best.

Alfalfa pellets, I guess. The little green things. I suppose I could see if I could buy a small bag and give it a try. Isn't alfalfa pretty high in protein? I seem to remember that fresh alfalfa can founder a horse due to its high protein content, but I could be wrong. Wouldn't want to founder my chickens. (Just kidding.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom