Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

Pics
I don't want to leave this thread. Or brag, for that matter. But I got some eggs today two. But I'm not going to jinx it by telling you how many, two.

Here's hoping the New Year brings you lots of eggs.

Quote:
Are you talking the feed or alfalfa pellets? If they like it they will eat it. I purchase alfalfa pellets for over the winter when I'm being lazy. Mine won't eat the pellet, so I put them through the grain mill and walla they have crumbles. Then they eat it just fine. If yours want to eat it I don't see a problem, but i wouldn't let it become their main diet. A good poultry mix is best.

Alfalfa pellets, I guess. The little green things. I suppose I could see if I could buy a small bag and give it a try. Isn't alfalfa pretty high in protein? I seem to remember that fresh alfalfa can founder a horse due to its high protein content, but I could be wrong. Wouldn't want to founder my chickens. (Just kidding.)

You're right about the horses. Ours try their darndest to get the fresh stuff while they watch the chickens freely eating whatever they want. What's good for one animal isn't always right for another. Chickens are omnivores while horses are herbivores. One of my chickens favorite treats is leftover sloppy joes, but I would never feed it to my parrots. Way to much protein. Layers however need some protein. Many home recipes for chicken feed uses alfalfa meal or pellets.

Quote:
Awesome! You're catching up to me. Todays pick was 93 chicken, 3 duck (Gracie the turkey smashed the 4th and then since it was broke she ate it), 2 goose and 2 turkey. Want to help wash eggs anyone? And I'll tell you what I get just as excited as the rest of you when I get an egg from a newbie or an older girl after her break. I'm always over the moon to see them in the nest box.

Quote:
Awesome! You're catching up to me. Todays pick was 93 chicken, 3 duck (Gracie the turkey smashed the 4th and then since it was broke she ate it), 2 goose and 2 turkey. Want to help wash eggs anyone? And I'll tell you what I get just as excited as the rest of you when I get an egg from a newbie or an older girl after her break. I'm always over the moon to see them in the nest box.

That is wonderful!!!! How many layers do you currently have?

But I will never catch you. I don't have 93 chickens, much less 93 eggs. But I'm working my way up to 9 a day. I only have 12 layers total. I will be over the moon if I have a day with 9.

And no, I don't want to wash eggs....I wash them as I use them....but since I only got a total of 2 today, I won't be using them soon, since my favorite reciepe takes 4. LOL

Quote:

That is wonderful!!!! How many layers do you currently have?

But I will never catch you. I don't have 93 chickens, much less 93 eggs. But I'm working my way up to 9 a day. I only have 12 layers total. I will be over the moon if I have a day with 9.

And no, I don't want to wash eggs....I wash them as I use them....but since I only got a total of 2 today, I won't be using them soon, since my favorite reciepe takes 4. LOL

My 8 year old chicken farmer son currently has 146 chickens. 9 are full grown roos, 8 are 9 week old chicks, there are 4 young roos not yet sexually mature between 18 and 22 weeks (our cross breed roos develop very late) and the rest are his girlies. His hens range from around 6 months to 6 plus years with about half of them under 9 months. A lot of his older girls are in various stages of molt and one of his nine months old is broody for her second time. We love broody hens! It's pretty much like getting free chicks! Of course the chicks we get are cross breeds, but we don't have a problem with that. Our first layers were of the heinz catcup variety. I can't even remember how many breeds he has as there are so many. I know it's over 15 though.

I grew up raising chickens and had them most of my 48 years. When I was pregnant with my son I was injured and could no longer care for them, so once I was able too we got some more. My son absolutely loves his girls. Many of them have names and will walk up to his egg customers looking for attention (really just food) and because of that he sells the eggs pretty fast. He tells people all about his birds, how to take care of them, and what fun they are. He has actually lost a couple of customers as he talked them into getting some chickens themselves. He sells the eggs fairly cheap as his goal is to maintain his flock not make a ton of money. He's happy with a few extra bucks and the rest he spends on his girls. He didn't pay for the coops and he doesn't pay for electricity (which we stick dad with) but he pays for everything else. I'm glad I've been able to pass on much of the knowledge that I gew up with. It's been a wonderful way for my son to learn and a great responsibility with even greater rewards. When we were having our home framed out this summer the guys told me about a chicken coop they just built. It cost more than what we were paying for the framing. The people wanted their children to have some responsibilty, so they were getting chickens. Everything in this coop was automatic. Feed, water, lights, temp controlled for heat and cooling, and auto door. I know there would still be some chores, but from the sounds of it the kids wont be doing much. I love being out there helping my son to tend his flocks. Even though those girls are spoilt rotten. I myself just raise the meat birds now and leave the flock management to the little chicken farmer. What he doesn't know he will ask. What I don't remember I will ask my mother or father..........and so the knowledge and joy get passed along.

Here's to hoping your girls lay you many eggs for many years to come.

Quote:
Same here. 8 eggs in 3 days. They're not only starting to lay again, but some are laying for the first time. (Small eggs a color I haven't had before is the give away that pullets are starting to lay)

Quote:
3 inches long is better than 3 inches wide. OUCH. Congrats. Can you have your EE talk to my Ameruacanas about laying BLUE EGGS? thanks. LOL

ok i have read a lot on this sticky, a lot of info. I was wondering if you all could help me out. I have a mixed flock of 3 leghorns and 3 New Hampshire reds. (thats whats left after my rat incident recently
sad.png
It has been a month and a half, darn near 2 months since an egg from the rir. Leghorns have been doing their job nicely. I have a light on a timer so we can achieve 16 hrs of light a day. Fresh water available. I made up a mix of food hoping to jolt them:

100 lbs mix cracked and whole corn
50 lbs 16% layer
150 lbs of following custom mix. (I get the mix from the dairy i work at):
5.2 parts cornmeal
2 parts glutten
2 parts wheat midds
2 parts canola
1.2 parts soy meal
I realise that leghorns are egg laying machines, and rir are a dual purpose. I got the flock as chicks in April of 2010, started laying in August of 2010 (last year). Is this all I can expect of the rir? If they dont lay anymore I could always do the soup pot.

Back
Top Bottom