Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers!

We deal with rats every fall and into winter. I never had them take eggs. They do eat a lot of feed. If your nestboxes are raised off the ground than I don't think rats will take eggs. If your nests are on the ground than possibly they would, but the chickens would probably eat them first. Most floor eggs get eaten by my chickens.

Thanks for those ideas, everyone. We usually feed Blue Seal and did use 2 bags from Agway recently. So that could be it. But I think they stopped laying when still eating Blue Seal, but at this point I'm not entirely sure. I wasn't paying attention until it continued for so long.
They aren't show birds; I bought them from McMurray's. Do you think that would affect their laying abilities? My first group was from Agway, and the second from My Pet Chicken and this group from McMurray's. I think I had another group but don't remember.
Will check for rats. We live near a woods and large fields so that's possible.

I have an older Australorp and a 3 or 4 yr old Brahma. I don't expect either of them to lay (but the Brahma was laying in the summer) Then I have 1.5 yr old Speckled Sussex, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Gold Laced Wyandotte, and Welsummer. Then 6 month old Speckled Sussexes (6 of them)

I expect that the 1.5 yr olds would be laying something. The two older girls get a pass.

Except for the Australorp, all those breeds aren't really good layers. I haven't owned a large breed Brahma, so I can't comment on them except they aren't known for high production. My welsummers and Wyandottes stopped in early fall and I don't expect them to start laying again until March or April. My 7 month old speckled Sussex hasn't started either, and the last one I owned laid occasionally but never really well. You would have better production with some more reliable egg producers.

A good sex link, leghorn, Ancona, or buff Orpington would be a good start, to name a few breeds that lay more consistently. My best egg producers are my buff laced polish, and Ancona, and my EE from this year are really surprising me on production as well, as all my past ones weren't good layers.

Birds over 2 years start to have a more decrease in production. Your best seasons are the first and second.

I'm hopeful my newest one will lay better, but so far it isn't looking too good. I make sure I keep some for production and some for looking at as I like a variety. Just a few really great layers can keep you in eggs while the rest can be bums. As far as the Sussex I think they lay better in England where they are originally from. Here egg laying in the breed seems to not be a priority and they fall into the eye candy department, but maybe someone else has seen better production out of the breed.

Hi there,

I live in sub-tropical northern NSW in Australia - so mostly hot and humid - and we are just at the end of a hot summer. I have 5 chickens: 2 aging ex-battery Isa Browns, I white Sussex, 1 Black Sussex and 1 Barnevelder. I've had them for almost 2 years.

The two sussex have not laid an egg since early November last year. They are only about 2 years old so I was hoping they would be laying for some time to come. They started laying right when they were meant to and laid an egg a day for several months. Then in November the white one had a bout of broodiness which we cured fairly quickly with an isolation ward but during this she upset the laying patterns of the others. Everyone else settled down eventually except for the black sussex, who seemed to go out in sympathy with the white one. Now neither of them has laid an egg since. They are both healthy, well-adjusted and have a healthy appetite - just no eggs. I wonder if anyone can help with why this might be and what I can do to get them laying again. It's been VERY hot here over the last few months - could that be it? The Barnevelder is fine though - laying 5 or so eggs a week. I have made sure they are not full of lice/mites, and wormed them for good measure also. They just look perfectly contented NOT laying eggs. Can this be possible??

They all free range for most of the day and get a high protein layer mash available to them all day. Treats are usually fruit or veg and yogurt. I've been giving them a little bit of beef mince each day for the past month as I thought protein might be the problem.

Any insights would be great.

Maria

The heat makes hens stop laying. Do your birds seasonally molt where you are at? They could be getting ready to do that. Ours do here until the U.S. in early to late fall.

Back
Top Bottom